Just wondering if there is a young mom out there (who watched general conferance) who did not LOVE Elder Ballards talk?
Daughters of God
I've been waiting all week to be able to read it online again, and finally it is available. It was one of those talks where I felt as though he was describing my life perfectly...right down to the spilled cheerios in sacrament meeting:) Now I do have an amazing husband who has never made me feel as though Motherhood was a thankless job and I love him for that. Still though, something about hearing an apostle of God talk about the importance of what us little ol' moms do every day that just seems to diffuse any feeling of mediocrity I could have had.
A couple of my favorite lines from his talk:
There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. ..."What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply, and... prioritizes them above all else."
"First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.
Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone. ... I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”
This last quote expecially almost stung when I heard it. I'm so bad at brushing past (or rushing past) so many great moments because I have to get something done, or we need to be somewhere...or...whatever-you know how it is. That's probably why my one and only goal for this year is to SAVOR.
Well with this school divisions spring break approaching it is the perfect time for me to work on this. You know...let go of my to-do list a little. Relax. Slow down. I plan to try really really hard to just SAVOR this week with John and the kids. Mind you-we do have to plant our garden, and then there is that...
DOH!!! I'll try okay!!!
3 comments:
I totally agree! I LOVED that talk too :)
Cute blog layout btw!
I read this talk this morning and it was great. Have a fun spring break and make sure you SAVOR it all!
Thanks for your words Tan! I loved that talk too - I am thinking Savor is a GREAT theme for the year and might have to adopt it for LIFE! Thanks! (also, I LOVE your blog layout!)
Post a Comment