Sunday, August 17, 2008

What's BEAN going on!

You know, no matter how much I fight it, the summer is flying by. Have any of you noticed that? It was as if one moment we had tonnes of time to spare, and now we are scrambling to squeeze everything we had planned into our last couple of weeks. Abby received a letter in the mail this week, from her kindergarten teacher, "Mrs. Bennett" John has begun the discouraging process of preparing his course outlines prepping some of his future lessons. The evenings are getting cooler. The sun is going down sooner, and yesterday I noticed that our pumpkins are really starting to take off and grow. I'm not ready for this. Well I am, ...and I'm not. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fall, I think it is my favorite time of year, but I"m so not ready for summer to be over.



We've enjoyed many afternoons this week watching the kids play on the trampoline. It's caused some headaches, but for the most part it's been fun! I've even enjoyed a jump or two once the kids have gone to bed. :)

Sam's birthday was on Thursday. Three!! I am so glad the whole "terrible two" phase is past. In true SAM fashion, we spent a large portion of his birthday sitting in the emergency room getting x-rays. Sam hurt his elbow on ...you guessed it...the TRAMPOLINE! It was a little sad to see him blowing out candles with a hospital wrist band on. We're off to a good start!



We've harvested BEANS this week. Now, they aren't beans from my garden, because the beans in MY garden didn't take very well, the cursed things! Fortunately, my Father in law gave us a large portion of his crop. Sure it was more work then we'd bargained for, but oh so worth it. We stayed up until two in the morning blanching and freezing. 82 bags later though, I'm back to loving the whole garden thing!

This picture of John is definitely one for the books. One of my favorite things about having a garden this year has been the time that John and I have spent side by side, late at night when the kids are asleep. He makes even shelling, and blanching fun.


Oh summer- just slow down a bit, so we can enjoy you for a little while longer!

7 comments:

shauna said...

I remember doing beans with Terry from our garden in Edmonton. So much fun...the picture of John is cute. I love the painting you have going on in the background!

Dick Family said...

I hear ya...WAY TOO FAST! WOW BEANS!!! Good for you Tanis!!

Lorin said...

Wow! It's not often you find a green been that's long enough to stick up your nose and have come out your mouth and still have plenty left over to grab onto at either end. Quite impressive indeed there John!

Lorin said...

oops! bean, not been.

Tanis, said...

Ha. It almost looks like that's what John did. Too funny. Yeah I married a funny one!

Anonymous said...

Wow...that's a ton of work. I love how it makes you happy still to garden! I'll be right over for beans in mushroom soup like Grandma used to always make! Sad we missed Sam's bday while we were gone!

Laura Leavitt said...

I love that you have so much fun with your garden. You make me want one. That is really neat you know what to do. That is nuts that Sam is three. Time goes by so fast. I was at Darren's parents house and went to their ward on sunday and saw your brother and his family. Todd my brother in law are in their ward and I met your brother and told him we were friends. He probably though I was a werido.....I can't beleive summer is almost over.....sniff sniff