I don't know where the time has gone, and more importantly why have I chosen to not write about all that we've been doing. Consider yourselves lucky I suppose. I'll spare you the details about the funny things my kids have said, our Sunday visit to the old folks home in Magrath and other such excitement, because today I'm in the mood to write about nothing but FOOD. More specifically...a sandwich!
Not just any sandwich though. This is an old favorite of my Dad's. Now admittedly my Dad had an interesting taste in food and often those "tastes" presented themselves in the form of an odd little sandwich. There was the "Cheese whiz and strawberry jam sandwich," the meat lovers "meatball and mayo" sandwich, the traditional "bacon and tomato" (though I have to say that one is good), and then his very own creation, the pièce de résistance ... the "Missionary Sandwich."
I'm not sure if my Dad created this himself or if he just learned it from one of his companions when he served a mission in Belgium (he served a little bit in Holland too), many years ago. I have a sneaky feeling that this is NOT a Dutch specialty, as much as it is a stumbled upon secret by a bunch of poor and starving elders.
Whoever cooked up this idea- I thank you very VERY much! It was the perfect cure to an afternoon craving.
So hear is how you make...a Missionary Sandwich:
First take several pieces of bread, and put some slices of cheese on top of each slice. See...just like this!

Then, brace yourself, get a can of mushroom soup. Spread a couple spoonfuls straight from the can over top of the cheese.

Then...Broil until the soup starts to bubble a bit.

After a couple of minutes, pull it out, and enjoy!
You'll notice I made two sandwiches without the soup on top. My children are wimps who have yet to catch the vision. Grandpa Rausch would not be impressed.So there it is. I have to admit that for all logical reasons there is nothing very appealing about this sandwich. I mean, it doesn't even LOOK good.
That said, unless someone stops me in the next couple of minutes...
They will be in my tummy in NO TIME!
Try it.
...I Dare You! But don't hate me after!
13 comments:
I was lucky enough to try some pork tenderloin done your Dad's style at KJAMBD's last night and it was quite spectacular! So I am definitely willing to try any of his other creations as well. Do you use the soup that you add water/milk to or the one you don't?
You use the kind where you are supposed to add milk but DON"T. Just spoon it on thick!
Hmmmm.... It's not quite registering on the gross level to me... but I'm not quite convinced. However, I do like all three ingredients used, so... I'll let you know if I become brave one of these days! :o)
GAG!!!
Sorry - that will never cross my palate. If you check out the odds and ends section in the cookbook I gave you, you will find a recipe similar to that but with no cheese. It also has my cousins' ingenious way of getting rid of it. You might want to not let your kids read it...or close off the ducts...
Your loss Shauna. Your loss. ;))))
Ahh...yes. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd make one right now. My kids aren't into the mushroom soup on top either. I had to laugh when I saw your picture cause I do the exact same thing! Let's do it for lunch tomorrow...yes?
We often have "mushroom soup sandwiches" - just spoon mushroom soup onto a slice of bread, top it with another and cook in sandwich maker. I love them. Next time I'll try a little cheese!
Hmmm, interesting craving. I don't know if I would ever crave it, but I might try it...we'll see.
I am afraid to try this one after my abysmal failure at making grilled cream cheese sandwiches. I dont want to ruin something else that could potentially be so wonderful.
lol......I am not sure...I do something similar but put tuna on ..actually tuna first ...then cheese...that is really good.
Post a Comment