Saturday, August 29, 2009

The end...and the beginning

Today is officially the last day of summer holidays for us. Yeah I know that school doesn't start until Monday and the weekend isn't over yet- but could Sunday really ever count as a holiday? Not unless they call off meetings if you ask me. This has been a great summer. Last year we travelled a LOT, went to Disneyland, and saw LOTS of family. This year in contrast we stayed relatively close to home, and did a lot on our own.

Back in June I made a list of 20 things that I wanted us to do before the summer was over.

We did 19 of them!


This past week we've tried to cram in some "lasts" of our favorite things:


Last trip to GLACIER

We've tried to get to know Glacier a bit better the past couple of months. I'm loving it more and more. We've fished there, watched bears, and walked around Swift Current Lake. Last week we drove over Logans pass to the south end of Glacier. There is a beautiful hike there called Trail of the Cedars. Despite the long drive to get here, it was worth it.
The forest consists of HUGE cedar and Hemlock trees, and is home to one of the prettiest waterfalls I've seen ever. Another bonus- the entire hike is stroller friendly. So really it isn't even a hike, so much as a Trail.


Oh, look at that...hence the name I suppose.




The kids played for a long time by the river, before we picnicked and headed home.




Last Symphony by the Water



And the first for that matter too. Because we are such a dignified and classy bunch...(ahem...or because we have a super talented nephew) we were treated to a nice little concert on the shore. John's sister and her family have been living in Waterton for the summer, and we all joined them on their last evening out there, before they moved back home for the school year.


Blah...the school year. They'd probably still be here if it weren't for that blasted school year.

Anyways, my nephew Caleb has been studying the cello for a few years and it was a real treat to sit on the edge of Waterton lake and hear him perform in such a pretty setting.




Caleb played as the sun set, the sound drifted over the water, and the younger kids did everything BUT listen. It was a perfect evening.



Last trip to Waterton

Ok lets be honest, there is no such thing as a last trip to Waterton. Seeing as September is my favorite time in Waterton- we'll likely go within the next week. But this did mark our LAST HIKE of the summer! I'd never done Bears Hump before but have always wanted to, so we thought we'd give it a try.



The hike, though it isn't long, is more uphill then I expected it to be. The kids did great though! Each of them carried their own backpack, and their own snacks. Every once in a while I'd throw a rock in when they weren't looking. You know- to build character and all that.







None of them whined ...or complained!



Neither did I for that matter. I have to say though- I love that in our 8 years of visiting Waterton together- we waited until I was 32 weeks pregnant to finally hike this one!

The view was breathtaking and the chipmunks...were abundant! The kids sat forever like statues waiting for a chipmunk to come nibble the morsel of snack in their fingers.




I have never...NEVER seen them sit that still. And for so LONG!

We finished the hike and enjoyed one last visit to BIG SCOOP and a walk along the shore. The town site was packed tonight!


Perhaps everyone else is trying to enjoy their "Lasts" out their as well.

So that is what we've tried to CRAM into our last week together. As sad as it makes me to think that this awesome family summer is drawing to an end, I can't help but feel a bit of excitement for what waits ahead. The beginning of school, beginning of routine, beginning of the harvest, and the beginning of a few big changes for our family.

No matter how you look at it, the end or the beginning...it's pretty darn great!

3 comments:

Joanna said...

You have never hiked bears hump?? Well I guess now you have :) Beautiful pictures! Looks like you guys have had a great summer.

shauna said...

Have a good first day of school tomorrow! We don't go back for another week (which I am thrilled about since the first day of school without Dad would be awful!). I can't believe you haven't hiked Bear's Hump before...kudos on doing it pregnant. I did it May 2008 with Rafe on my back in a carrier. That was difficult too! I'm coming to town tomorrow. Are you around if I have a few minutes to pop by for a visit? It would be later afternoon. Our dinner is at 5:00 so it would be before then. Email me if that might be a possibility...

Jordan and Luci said...

Boo for summer being over, but yay for doing fun things! Good luck w/ the next few months! Hopefully John makes it to the birth:)