Sunday, August 16, 2009

In my daughters eyes...


I LOVE to paint! It's one of the very few hobbies that I have actually stuck with over the years despite my "miserable"ness at it.
Take singing for example. It didn't take long for me to realize I couldn't sing.
So- I don't pretend to.

Sports? I was on a basketball team for 1 week. I knew when to give up.

But Art. I love. Despite the fact that I don't know anything about technique and have no natural skill there is something about it that I don't want to give up on.

That said- it has been exactly 9 months since I even touched a canvas or my pencils...or anything related to sketching.





These were two paintings I did last year. How many have I done this year? ZILCH!

It does nag at me a bit. You know, that feeling you get when you know you are neglecting something you love.


Well Earlier this week:


Abby was travelling in a van with some of her cousins and they all were sketching and drawing little pictures together. At one point Abby showed her drawing to her Uncle Chad and Aunt Heather, to which they kindly replied,

"Wow Abby. That's really good. You are going to be an artist just like your mom!"

Now I have to say I really think that Abby could have responded to this in a plethora of ways. A simple "thank you" would have worked; or even a not so humble "yes I know" perhaps.

Instead Abby said this, "Oh my mommy doesn't paint anymore. She's forgotten how to. ....SHE ONLY DOES THAT WHEN SHE'S SKINNY!"


Are you kidding me? Maybe I only paint when I have free time. Maybe I only paint when there aren't three kids pulling on my leg. Maybe I only paint when there isn't 1800 sq ft of garden to weed! Maybe I paint when I'm not nauseous from growing a baby!


But nope- in my daughter's eyes....it's because I'm too big!

Well in an effort to prove Abby wrong I sat down this afternoon with my sketch pad on my lap determined to get back into it.

I got this far before before packing it all up.

I think my tummy is in the way!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how kids see things! Hilarious! I can definitely relate about the tummy in the way thing though -- but I'm loving it! Hoping you're feeling great!

Joanna said...

ah hahaha, that made me laugh :)

Heather said...

oh tanis that is precious. Sometimes we just get out of the things we love and it is hard to get back into doing them. your belly is cute by the way!

David and Cheryl said...

LOVE IT! THANKS FOR THIS GOOD LAUGH!
Ps. My SIL's child once told her teacher when asked what her mother did she replied, "She just lays on the couch and sweats!" (she too was prego!) Thank goodness it's only for 9 months, then they start to remember us! :)

shauna said...

I read this yesterday afternoon and I have to admit that I am STILL laughing over it. At least you tried, right? How has the summer been? Are you around on Monday or Tuesday next week?

Leslie said...

That was cute. At least you gave it a try. Good for you!

Jordan and Luci said...

That's hilarious! Seriously, I love what Abby comes up with!

Laura Leavitt said...

lol........that is soooo funny.