Monday, August 3, 2009

My favorite time of year

John accuses me of declaring EVERY season and EVERY holiday my favorite, but I have to say that the Harvest really really is one of my favorite things about this time of year.
Check this out- how can you not love this?
Photobucket
So far we are enjoying Chard, onions, beets, strawberries, raspberries and other such things.
This past week we pulled out and froze all of our peas. That's no small job- but it's worth it.
It helps to recruit some child labor...ahem...I mean darling neices who actually consider shelling Fun!
Photobucket
It feels really fulfilling to see our freezer fill up with fruits and veggies already.
The other day John and I came very close to putting an offer down on a home in our neighborhood. We've started to feel the need to expand. We found a decent home for a great price that had plenty of room for us- yet when we faced the thought of a smaller yard we just couldn't do it.
This little garden and property of ours has come to be so dear to us and we can't picture starting over anywhere else. We've decided to build here on the front half, preserving our garden and giving us a much larger backyard. I'm so happy that we get to stay and enjoy this.
Photobucket
For the rest of my life!
Considering the fact that John and I have moved 11 times in our 7 years of marriage- I'm really surprised that I'm actually ok with the permanancy of this decision.

What is wrong with me?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your huge garden! (Trying, unsuccessfully, not to be jealous!)
I'm wishing I knew if the home we're in is the last move for us, but with Mike's itchy feet that he gets on and off, I'm kind of thinking there's at least one more move in the future... We'll see!

Anonymous said...

Between your garden and your hammock, I am thinking it is time for us to move...sooo lucky...Can I come vacation at your house this summer.
Crys.

Heather said...

wow looks awesome! As an offical plant killer I am jealous of your garden space and your green thumbs!

We are going to waterton this weekend I should tell Jon we need to make a side trip and raid your garden LOL.

Lorin said...

Those are some berry nice looking berries, as they say in Japan. You do have a great garden. Most of all I think you are very lucky to be living on a spot you want and plan to stay on permanently.

Dick Family said...

Wow, that's an awesome looking harvest!!! Love that garden of yours and your yard is beautiful!

Gina and Aaron said...

Your yard and garden look absolutely AMAZING!!!!! I can totally understand why you want to stay. Your pictures make me so hungry for fresh fruits and veggies. I am like one of the friends of the little red hen. Not willing to do the work, but wanting so bad to eat the product of all your labor!

Tanis, John and Family said...

If you ever come UP here then you could eat ALL you want!

Jordan and Luci said...

I'm here...can I eat all you want, or does that offer only stand for those who you know aren't coming? :)

Lauren Andersen said...

you are amazing. way to go on the beautiful garden. and congrats on your new permanency. xo