Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Halloween's Past

I've been thinking lately about what my kids should be for Halloween.

Any time I try to bring up the subject the kids burst out into shouts and screams of EVERY single thing they want to be, which happens to change by the minute. Sam wants to be Batman. But oh yeah also Spider man. And can I help him to shoot webs? Abby is torn between being Cinderella and a Cowgirl. Her solution is to simply be both at different times throughout the Day. She makes it sound so easy. She's always been a problem solver. Jessica I think will be content with anything...until it is time to put a coat on top of her chosen costume. Then all heck WILL break loose!

I LOVE Halloween! It is one of my favorite Holidays. Partly because it happens in the fall, and partly because I have so many memories of my Dad, and his efforts to make this spooky night a Great one! Due to my overzealous love of this Holiday I took it upon myself two years ago, to plan the perfect costume for the entire family!
The theme was The Wizard of Oz.

How did that work out?

Well Jessica was as cute as a button, dressed in her little witchy costume, and she was such a happy baby she didn't put up a fight. (That's why she was my favorite child back then.)
After making Abby watch the old version of the Wizard of Oz about 10 times she happily agreed to be Dorothy. The only problem was that none of the other kids at school had any clue who Dorothy was, and by the end of the day Abby had grown tired of trying to explain it.

I of course was happy to be the scarecrow. John....well....kudos to him for playing along. The dimples in his face tell me how cheesy he thought this all was. This is his, "This is the dumbest thing ever but I'll do it because I'm afraid not to" smile.



And then there was Sam. Our Brave and Courageous lion who was in the end afraid of his own costume. He is NOT smiling in this picture.
Five minutes after this photo was taken he was wearing a green frog costume, and there was nothing, NOTHING I could do about it. (And that is why he was NOT my favorite child that year.)


So that was us. Dorothy, a witch, a scarecrow, the tin man and ... kermit.

It was then, that I vowed to never NEVER work as hard to collaborate something cute for Halloween ever again. They can all go as mismatched, last minute "whatevers" if that is how they want it.


And actually the more I think about it, the more I realize that there is a very distinct possibility that I will be spending Halloween in the only equivalent to a Five Star Hotel that I will probably ever know.

Better known as ... The Maternity Ward.

What I should really be asking is, "What will my sister JEWEL dress my kids up as this year?"

6 comments:

shauna said...

Haha! I hope Jewel has lots of good ideas. We did the theme costumes one year. Olivia went as Wilbur in her cute pink pajamas with pipe cleaner ears and a tail, and an egg carton piece painted pink for a nose. Terry was Mr Zuckerman. Paige was Charlotte and I was the web. A lot of work though...especially that stupid web!

Have fun (possibly) in your "5 star hotel" that night...you realize now the baby will come a week early so you have LOTS of time to throw together last minute costumes! :)

Debbi said...

um, halloween babies are cool! I would know! :)

just imagine, you could have a kid as great as me! :P

Melissa said...

Good luck to Jewel!!!
I honestly wish I could be as creative as you in coming up with costume ideas. Thankfully my hubby is good at that otherwise who knows what my kids would be dressed up as.

Hope you are feeling good and everything goes well for you.

Dick Family said...

You really are the Halloween Queen! You always have great ideas! good luck - hopefully you can either have that baby early or after so that you don't miss out on the day!

Kendra said...

How come I have not seen one picture of you pregnant?! That is just really not ok! Goodness. But I can not believe you are due in 12 days!!!! That is just so exciting! Another trip to Canada due? Yeah, probably! :) I can not wait for more updates! haha I just love your family!

Heather said...

Hey! how are you doing? Are you still pregnant. If you are dont worry. Both me (due the 24th) and my friend in hillspring (due the 20th) are both still there with you! Maybe if we all concentrate at the same time we can send some labour inducing vibes out! I hope you are hanging in there!