
In my family growing up, one of my favorite traditions came every December. For as long as I can remember we spent the entire month eating dinner by Candle light. From December 1st to the 31st it was macaroni by candlelight. Or pizza-or whatever. But it was by candle light! My Dad loved doing this.
He acted like he didn't.
But really I know he did.
Sure, I remember all of the times he got after us to "STOP touching the flame," and warned us repeatedly to "STOP burning our napkins....and our hair... and the utensils." The same threats were repeated each night. Still, no matter how much he promised to end that tradition- we always began each meal with a candle of our own at each of our plates.
Proof that he enjoyed it at much as we did.
My siblings and I would linger at the table as long as possible on those evenings, and I remember long conversations over the flickering glow. It was cozy. He would sometimes talk about my mom. Other times he would tell us stories of when he was a kid, and we would laugh at all the bad things he used to do. Like the time he poured chocolate pudding in his school teachers BOOT. That was my favorite one.
To a 6 year old, it was a very cool way to eat a meal.
That is what was so great about my Dad. He was the BEST at celebrating a holiday, and creating memories. I wish I could thank him for that.
Now as my own little family sits around the table and I find myself voicing the same warnings, I feel like I understand him a little bit better.
Because, along with the moments when the kids fight over who gets to blow which flame out, or I accidentally place the bread bag too close to the flame and it melts all over everything, or John decides to show the kids a cool magic trick that they are bound to try, no doubt unattended, sometime...
along with all of those moments-
there is a calm, peaceful moment.
A moment each night when I look around the table and my kids faces look so sweet in the glow.
When their eyes are all sparkly and happy.
When none of us are in a hurry to go anywhere.
there is a calm, peaceful moment.
A moment each night when I look around the table and my kids faces look so sweet in the glow.
When their eyes are all sparkly and happy.
When none of us are in a hurry to go anywhere.
I think I understand now why he enjoyed that tradition so much.
To me - it wouldn't be Christmas without it.
3 comments:
Glad to know that someone else is having fun doing the same thing. You are right, there is something peaceful about candlelight. One year it would be fun to make them each their own special candle holder don't ya think? Meals just somehow TASTE better under the glow of candlelight.
That sounds like so much fun! I love it! I may have to 'adopt' myself into your family, unless you don't mind me borrowing your awesome tradition for our family too! :o)
What a wonderful tradition! Candles are magical, and they do set the mood for peace!
BTW I love your new header picture!
Post a Comment