Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lucky number 7

The 4th of March is Abby's Birthday.   I find it hard to believe that she is already 7.    SEVEN! 

 People frequently stop me and tell me to "enjoy this time" in my life, because one day I will wake up and the kids will all be grown.      I am beginning to realize how true that is.   More and more I am experiencing little moments when I look at my kids (specifically this one) and wonder what happened!!   And where has my baby gone?      It is funny how the more kids I have - the more inxperienced I feel as a Mom.  Luckily, Abby is living proof that kids can survive pretty much anything!



 
A few things about the Birthday Girl:

*  She has a real knack for the dramatics.  If you dare ask her a question- you better be ready for her response.  She loves attention, and there are not many circumstances in which she would be shy. This became apparant to me years ago when I watched her (at the age of 2)  walk up to some teenagers who were smoking on a playground and say, "Hey friends.  Wanna play with me?" 

*  Abby is a HUGE help with Nate.  When she gets home from school, she scoops him up and holds him on her lap for as long as I need.  She has recently begun changing his diaper ON HER OWN.  I watch her talk to him and console him the same way I would.    As a result- she is often the recipient of some of Nates biggest and happiest smiles! 

*  Abby can speak FENGLISH.   To those of you who don't know, (as I'm sure very few would), what Fenglish is, let me explain it to you.   Fenglish is a made up language created by her and her cousins Ava, Ella and Mya.  It consists of replacing the first constenant of every word with the letter F.  (Ie: "I Love You" in Fenglish is "FI Fove Fou.")   I recently had to play an entire game of Battleship with her speaking this cursed language. 

*  Abby is the master procrastinator.  She can weasle out of homework after school like nothing else.  This usually results in last minute cramming during breakfast, thus causing me to vow each and every morning that I will never let her put things off ever again.   (Note:  It appears I am the slowest learner ever)

*  Abby has an amazing memory.  She can ramble off old movie lines, poems, songs, and scriptures without having to think twice.  John and Abby often quote movie lines together, and I am left watching them wondering what the heck they are talking about!   It's as bad as being left out of an "inside Joke."

*She's TALL for her age.  In fact I usually beg her a minimum of 50 times a day to STOP GROWING!  She just smiles...rolls her eyes as if she was already eighteen,  and assures me that everybody has to grow up sometime.     Duh!

*  I've been told that Abby treats everybody in her class at school with equal respect.  I can't think of a better compliment then that.  I know that at some point she will be confronted with that dreaded concept of "popularity," and (for the next what ... 40 years or so?) it will have an impact on how she is both treated and how she treats others.  So far though, Abby remains convinced that everyone in her class is equally cool- and I LOVE that. 

* She has a happy personality, and an over the top SILLY sense of humor.  She tells the lamest jokes ever, and laughs hysterically at each and every one of them.  She's her own audience- this kid. 

*  She's one of my Best friends. 

Nope -  I don't mind saying it:
"I Hope she NEVER grows Up!"

6 comments:

Lorin said...

Happy Birthday Abby!

shauna said...

Seven? Really? Why does it seem like those memories of Edmonton are so much closer than that?

We love Abby too! We hope she had a fantastic birthday and that she has a great time being 7!

Dick Family said...

Wow, how did that happen??? 7 years? Happy Birthday Abby! Cute post mom :)

Jewel said...

Sweet post for an even SWEETER 7 year old. Love the last photo. She's got the cutest grin... and I LOVE her jokes!! Hope you had a great day Abby!

Jordan and Luci said...

Ahh, she is so cute! We love he and I like her jokes and stories too...I've never heard her language though...that made me laugh though!

CHEMTD said...

Great post Tan, we loved reading about Abby and were sorry that we couldn't be there for her special day.

- C