Thursday, March 25, 2010

What are we... 80?

Tonight I attended a gardening class.   I went with a little bit of hesitation as I wasn't sure quite what to expect.   What if I didn't know anyone?  What if I had to sit alone?  (I hate sitting alone!)   What if there were only old people there?   Not that that would be bad.  It's just... I hate not fitting in, you know.  
Well when I got to the class, sure enough, the next youngest person was in fact... about 60.  But I learned a TONNE about "Gardening in Chinook Country".      Within 1 hour I had a visual image of exactly what I want our property to eventually be.  The trouble now is realizing that this will have to develop over the course of a few years.  No one can grow their dream yard over night can they?  

My basic plan consists of adding a bit more to the deck that is in building mode as we speak.  Luckily, John likes the change.    I also plan to focus for the most part on growing native (indigenous) plants to showcase each season.  Of course, I will have to do a bit of research as well to find out which plants attract birds.   And one thing I am excited about is my first attempt at a Water Garden.  (Lily pads, water grass etc)  It looked so cool, and I picture one sitting nicely on the top level of our deck. 

Aside from all of that, we will also have our vegetable garden.  I must say t hough, compared to what we enjoyed over the past few years, our garden here is really quite puny.    But I won't complain.   ....much.

The instructor brought up an interesting point.  She said that you need to consider your outdoor property as an extension of your home.  Another room if you may.   Treating your yard as such will ensure that you create the type of space you and your family will use and enjoy.  I can't wait to get started.


However, our plans to start on our yard this weekend may have just been thwarted, at least for this weekend.  Thanks to John's sister Sarah and her husband Ed we have been imformed of the current migration of hundreds of thousands of snow geese and Tundra Swans.  As I type this they are gathering in droves on Freezeout Lake Montana.  This migration has happened for years, and was even noted by National Geographic in 2000

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/enlarge/freezeout-lake-snow-geese_pod_image.html

Wouldn't that be amazing to see?  And photograph?   We're thinking that a little (ok long) Saturday drive might be in the forecast.  

Look at that.  One night with the "elderly" and suddenly life is all about plants and bird watching.

I LOVE OLD AGE. 

2 comments:

shauna said...

I think it is fantastic that you embrace what you love. If gardening and bird watching makes you happy, then I think your life should be filled with it...and I'm right there with you...at least on the gardening part! I've never actually tried bird watching...maybe we should try it.

Melissa said...

I am sooo jealous about getting started on gardening. I keep thinking about our house back in Calgary and how I wish we could finish the yard. Oh well...it sounds like a lot of fun for you guys though. :)
ps. I love the picture at the top of your blog...so beautiful.