Monday, May 3, 2010

Yup, we're mighty proud

Do you ever have moments when you look at your kids and realize that somewhere between now, and the last time you paused to notice, they'd grown up on you.  Just a little bit, but much faster then you had ever expected?   I often plead with my kids to never NEVER grow up.   It's become a bit of a game, to which I usually get a dramatic response from Abby, as she rolls her eyes and says,     "As IF mom.   You know you can't stop us from getting bigger."      


Sometimes her defiance stops me in my tracks, and shakes me up a little.   There are days when I wish that I actually could stop them from getting bigger.   Other times I am more at ease with the whole aging thing, and can sit back and celebrate each milestone that they pass.  

It just depends on the day.

Take this past Sunday for example.  I went out to the garage to get something out of the deepfreeze, when I discovered Sam riding his bicycle in circles around the garage, (while talking to whom I assume was none other then a new "imaginary friend").      After I got over the initial concern that he was indeed talking to himself,   I did a double take and was shocked to discover that his bike had no training wheels.  What?   When did he learn to ride his bike?   And where the heck was I?    I'm supposed to be right there with him arn't I?   Helping him balance?  Patching up his scraped knees when it does go as easy as he thought it would?   At least video taping it?

How dare he grow up without allowing me the parental privilege of being a part of it!



       And how dare he ride without his helmet!   ....and SHOES!  

                                                           ------------------------------

For months now, John has been hinting/hounding me to potty train our 3 year old.    Heaven knows, she is long past ready, but I've been far too lazy to go through the hassel of it.     Who wants to deal with dirty carpets, and "accidents"  at the grocery store.    In my opinion, as long as Jess is potty trained by the time she has to enter Junior High - then, it's all good.     What's the rush?     John doesn't agree.  So to appease him,  I have made some half hearted attempts over the past couple of months,  but not much progress had ever really been made.    Jessica has been as determined not to learn as I've been disinterrested in teaching her.   

Until this week.   Something seems to have just "clicked" in that cute little head of hers.



I'm not making any promises here, but I think that it is somewhat safe to say that there is a slight chance we may have possibly, perhaps,  purchased the last bag of diapers.  
  
And I think it is important to note -  well before Junior High even!

                                  ---------------------------------------------------

Last night, we thawed out and BBQ'd some of the Rainbow and Brook Trout that we caught over the summer.   Actually, if I was being honest, I'd admit that we "cooked up some of the trout that ABIGAIL caught" over the summer.    A delightful fish smell wafted through our house that evening:   It was the kind of smell that would have driven any pregnant woman mad.    However, to me, it brought back memories of our lovely, laid back, summer evenings spent by the lakes in both Glacier and Waterton.

 I could almost smell Cameron Lake right there in our kitchen!
Abigail was especially proud of the fact that SHE was the one who single handedly put food on our table that night.   In fact,  before leaving the table, all of us were required to officially thank HER for dinner.

She's never really been the type to back down from a compliment, that's for sure!

So there it is, a synopsis of my kids accomplishments this week.   I suppose that I could sit down and lament the loss of their younger, slightly more dependent days of the week prior.    Or I can sit back and enjoy it.    Maybe even feel proud of them.   Isn't that one of the perks of being a parent?   We're entitled to a little bit of pride now and then arn't we?

 I mean really, a four year old who can ride a bike BAREFOOT while carrying on a conversation with himself; a girl potty trained WAY AHEAD OF SCHEDULE;  and a daughter who has become our BREAD WINNER at the tender age of seven.  
  



Now, who wouldn't want to brag about all that!

8 comments:

shauna said...

I need Sam's superpowers for Olivia and Jess's superpowers for Rafe. I suppose we could always get Paige providing for us with Abby's superpowers. You wanna lend them to us for a week or so? (The powers...not the kids! There's enough crazy here without adding 3 more!)

Dick Family said...

ha ha - KIDS! (you can't say that enough)!

I can't believe Sam's riding without training wheels (notice how the bare feet and no helmet didn't even phase me...I'm a Mom, I see that everyday!)

It'll come with Jessica - when she's good and ready!

Laura Leavitt said...

AWESOME. I love that Abby caught your dinner. Way to go Sam on the bike.

Jordan and Luci said...

Tan, you crack me up and a lot of times make my day with your posts. You should be proud!

Oh and I LOVE the pictures you took! So fun!

Melissa said...

I love reading your posts!! Your kids are so fun and I love seeing what is new with your family!

Jewel said...

Abby as Bread Winner! Love it Tan. Hallarious as always! I can't believe how thrilled Nate looks, being as dirty as he is!

Gayla Woolf Holt said...

LOL...Tanis, you are my kind of hero mom...your sense of humor will take you far! So glad you and your family are in our ward. We love you guys! Hugs.

Lorin said...

Congratulations all around!