Take this past week for example. Last Friday after his first full week of school, I asked his Teacher how he`d done that week, genuinely expecting a positive report. Her response was kind and hesitant as she told me of some of his...um antics of the week. Like the time he went the entire morning acting like a monkey all because I'd sent a banana in his lunch!
My heart sank. As parents, it is natural for us to want our kids to go out into the world and you know, share their toys, sit still, and become successful in their own little realms right? And when they don`t behave quite up to par, it is difficult to not take it a little bit personally and wonder just where exactly things went wrong. Perhaps he really was dropped as a child?
In all honestly though, Sam is not a bad boy. Rather, he is a silly boy. He is a very silly boy who loves attention and enjoys, more then anything else, to have others laugh at him. And I don't know about you, but I`ve never met a show off who could stay quiet for long! Sometimes I worry that because he is soo silly, that he will not be taken seriously, by teachers, by classmates, ...or even by HIMSELF. Even worse then that, sometimes I worry that I will never really see the potential that is in him. Yet, other times I find myself wishing that I could just suppress his energetic side a little. Not indefinately, just between the hours of 8-3 when all that he says and does has the potential to reflect on me as a parent.
This past weekend, I spent a lot of time (and I mean a LOT) talking to Sam about manners, and trying to define with him boundaries and expectations for him while he is at school. I was THRILLED today when his teacher pulled me aside and told me that Sam was like a different boy today. So "calm and subdued". She said that she almost wondered if I had medicated him - he was that different. I don't know, perhaps I should be more open to the whole medication route, but I'm just not. In reality, I simply bribed him with a dollar store toy on Saturday if he can manage to be good every.single.day.this.week.
A tall order perhaps. But one I think he is capable of.
I feel in a way as though I am trying to retrain him, and I find myself hoping that he can blend in with the rest of the kids. Be a little less goofy. A little less....Sam.
Which brings me to this great TED talk that John and I love listening to. Sir Ken Robinson speaks about the need for a Learning Revolution. One in which we stop placing kids somewhere along a linear method of teaching and measuring and instead see them for who they are and can one day become. We do our kids a great disservice by trying to train them to be models of what we think the world needs. It has motivated John, as a teacher, to teach in a way that encourages his students to find their passions. It motivates me to look at Sam with more acceptance and tolerance.
I have to be ok with that. More then that - I have to love him for it. Because who knows- with all that energy - he might just be the one who someday solves world hunger!
And then wouldn't I be so proud!!!
Enjoy this TED talk. Very Funny, and worth the 20 minutes!
8 comments:
I came across that talk yesterday although I didn't have the time to watch it. It is on my list though. I am afraid that Rafe is shaping up to be every bit as silly as Sam. I too am not quite sure how I will deal with it...although, thankfully his teacher is me! (So I don't have to worry about being talked about in the teacher's lounge or anything!)
Okay, Tanis, I just have to thank you for this post today. I have had some VERY similar thoughts about a certain 8-year-old of mine... wondering if I will E.V.E.R. have my 'preaching moments' sink in... Yikes. I know I need to love my kids no matter what, but there are definitely days I can relate to hoping people don't see the behavior as a reflection of my parenting skills (or lack thereof?)... Anyway, again, thanks -- I hope Sam gets his dollar store toy! Good luck!
I have one of those myself.
I actually think it's really sad that he has to be a completely different person to the point that it seems he's been medicated to be able to function in a kindergarten (it is kindergarten right?) classroom. I mean at some point he has to learn how to sit still at certain times and function in a school-type setting but it makes me sad to think of this spunky little boy (who obviously has an amazing imagination) stifling who he is to conform to his teacher's expectations of how a boy should behave in her classroom.
And, you know what? My reaction actually surprises me. I'm a teacher too and I always thought I was kind of old school - it's my way or the high way (but I teach high school not elementary school so that makes a huge difference.) Possibly it bothers me because my little monkey will go to kindergarten soon and have to change his personality to get along as well.
Ok, i just have to clarify - sorry!
I'm saying that I think the teacher has to let him act like he's a monkey all day but I just wonder if there isn't some way of making a compromise, of allowing him to retain some of his personality without being a major disruption. Which I believe is what you were trying to say towards the end of your post. (I didn't have time to watch the talk - what is TED btw?)
Lahni, I agree. His teacher has been incredibly understanding with him, and has been so patient with him. I think with Sam it is more that he doesn't know when to let himself be a clown and when he needs to be polite and listen. Most parents probably teach their kids this- I'm just getting started;) It really seems to be an issue of manners more then anything.
And oh my TED is right up your alley! Go to TED.com and you will find hundreds of talks on a wide range of subjects, by people equally diverse. The premise is that they share "ideas worth spreading." I've found some real great talks this way.
Sam is just fine...and like any other little 5 year old out there! Seriously. I'm going to watch that Ted talk though!!!! You and John are BOTH amazing parents and you really don't need to call in your parenting style!! He's a lucky boy...and downright funny and creative.
People always ask the question, who in history would you invite over for supper?...I've been answering, Sir Ken Robinson since 2008. LOVE, adore, and admire. Check out his website, there are great links to articles he's written and been featured in.
I ran across your blog through Luci's. I'm sorry I am stalking you!!! Haha!
I had to laugh at this post because honestly, my son, the same age as yours (right?) is rewarded if he comes home with a smile in his planner. His teacher will put a smile in his planner if she thinks he did a good job that day - listening, obeying, etc. I was glad to know that it is NOT just my child!!! So you are NOT the only one at CES with a kid like that!
Post a Comment