Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pajama Boy, Taylor Swift, and the only brown dodge Caravan in town with ...two dents!

Wow is it really the end of October?   Really?      The weather sure hasn't been acting like it is- we've been spoiled with beautiful temperatures that have made up for the chilly summer we had.   At least I for one have forgiven whoever it is that plans the weather.  This has been nice!   I think the only indication to me  that October is almost over is the awareness that one of our most favorite holidays EVER is quickly approaching.   Well..I for one, think it is one of the Best Holidays ever and the kids seem to agree with me.  

We've narrowed down what each of the kids are going to dress up as, and more then once I have seen them running around the cul-de sac dressed up as if it was already Halloween night.  Several times in the past couple of weeks I have looked out the window to see  Spider man, A witch, a princess and their neighborhood friend walking from door to door with hands full of some sort of treat they collected.    Our neighbors are just too darn nice!

Only when you are young and cute can you get away with Trick or Treating multiple times throughout the month!

I'm still trying to sort out the logistics of John's Halloween costume.   Every year he tells me that he doesn't care what he goes as...but this year he had an idea that I actually think would be perfect for him.  It's right up his alley.     I should really just let him go with it and create the costume himself- but I made that mistake this past week when his school had a "pajama day."     I sat back and watched as he went to school looking like this:


Actually I didn't sit back and just watch.  I tried to stop him - I honestly did.   However, when John first began teaching, years ago,  he decided that his personal dress standard would entail a tie and dress shirt each day.     Apparently this rule applies always...even on Pajama Day!!!     (For the record, I know John looks a little bit annoyed to be having his picture taken but that is only because I told him I was going to post it on the blog and humiliate him!  Bwahahahah!)    

Oh I LOVE this man, I really do.     But I'm officially designating myself in charge of his Halloween costume.   Believe me -there will be NO TIE involved!!!!     Stay tuned.....


Other news to report:  

 Brent and Rachel came out on Friday for a few hours and it was so fun to visit with them.    It is crazy to think that Rachel is about to have a BABY!!!      And can you believe it?  At 9 months pregnant...Aunt Rach and Uncle Brent took my kids golfing!!!!     Alright, actually they just took Abby and Sam golfing.  (Like I'd allow Rach to take ALL my kids.   She's about to have a baby for goodness sake!)     Sam officially has found a new best friend in Brent, despite the fact that Sam continuously calls him "dumb Rat!"   I think it has become a term of endearment really, and I admit, I allow it- because really Brent eggs him on.   Thanks Brent and Rach!


I am happy to report that I cleaned my house this week AND baked cupcakes!!!     I'm going to take that as a sign that life is beginning to feel more normal.     John was happy to discover that for the first time in four months- the fresh baked smell that wafted through the house did not come from a Scentsy candle for once.   He hugged and kissed me and acted like I was superwoman or something.    And that is when I vowed to never stop baking ever again.   Ever.    


Oh yes and I must share this story with you.     Abby came to me a few weeks ago and reported that Taylor Swift is her new favorite Rock Star!   I laughed out loud at that because I have not heard her ever speak of Taylor Swift before, nor have I ever heard her refer to someone as a Rock star.   In fact,  as far as I knew- she still loved the Wiggles.    Well over the past couple of weeks I have caught Abby several times singing one of Swift's songs.  

One day as I heard her sing, I decided to be a nice mom, and pay her a compliment.
 I said, "Wow Abby.  You sound really good."  (which, by the way, she didn't)
Abby replied.  "I know.   I totally sound just like the real Taylor Swift.  Even Ava and Mya think so."

Well that was it.   Since then, I've made it my mission to capture Abby's prize winning rendition on video.    Because, you know, it is going to be important to show something like this right before her first date or at her wedding or during some future family reunion when her own kids will be able to sit back and laugh at her.     I imagine we will get a kick out of this for years and years ...and YEARS to come.      


Well that's pretty much been our week.  I know that it might appear as thought I've spent the week making fun of my family, but seeing as I still can not walk normally AND I put TWO dents in our van this week...

....I'm all about highlighting whatever takes the attention off of me.

Enough said.


HAPPY SUNDAY!


ABBY SINGING IN THE SHOWER:

13 comments:

shauna said...

Oh man...does Abby even talk to you anymore? Leslie did the same thing to be and taped me singing in the shower and this just reminded me that maybe I am still mad at her. (And I have to be sure that the cassette tape was properly destroyed.)

I'm glad to hear you were feeling well enough to make cupcakes. Little steps right?

Jewel said...

Awesome post Tan! Seriously, Ava and Mya got a real kick out of Abby's video. Yup. Sounds just like her! Thanks for the laughs tonight! We got enough laughs from this I think we can go to bed early and NOT have to stay up for AFV like we usually do each Sunday!!

Tanis, said...

Dont worry Shauna. I still tell her she sings Awesome.

shauna said...

You know Tanis...years from now she may just end up on Canadian Idol in the top 2 and this could be used as her background video stuff. That would be great!

Lorin said...

Tanis, you don't know about the whole "tie with pajamas" thing? Obviously you have never seen The Sound of Music. Although, come to think of it, that was set in the 17th century or something like that wasn't it?

Tell Abby thanks for singing my favorite Taylor Swift song and yes she sounds just like her!

Rach said...

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah to hear it live is sooo much better than I was hoping for Tan!!! hahahahhahaha. I love it!! Almost as much as I love John letting loose on PJ day......hahahah we LOVE you Tan!! It was so much fun to hang out with you...sorry if we overstayed our welcome :) If I want anything done around the house now I have to refer to brent as a dumb rat...thanks sam. haha.

Crystal said...

Tell Abby we are her Biggest Fans.
So awesome. I love her confidence.
Great post. We laughed from start (John's ensemble) to finish. Ahh good stuff.

cindy said...

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face every time I read your blog Tanis, I just love your family! Glad to hear that things are coming along with your health, everyday improvements are definitely good news!

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Hahaha -- thanks for a fabulous post to make me laugh out loud. Glad you are starting to feel better and I hope things keep improving! Can't wait to see the costumes for this year!

Melissa said...

LOL....love the video. As always, I enjoyed reading your post. You have such a fun outlook on everything.

Jordan and Luci said...

OH my! I'm loving it! She was awesome! Watch out American or Canadian Idol!!!

I'm also really jealous of Jordan right now, since he is in Cardston and we are not.

PS I don't think the tie in that outfit of John's serve the purpose of the tie. I guess that's why it's so funny!

Brianna said...

hahahahahah ahhh Tanis that video is classic! I just saw Taylor Swift live yesterday and Abby sound almost exactly the same! :)

shauna said...

So...my sister in law Barb just posted this on our family webpage yesterday. I thought Abby might like to know...

"Jesse - Just had a live web cast with Taylor Swift today, at his school, I do believe he is going
for teacher of the decade award."