Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The fight I never got to have

 I don't like to highlight the moments in which John and I don't see eye -to- eye.   Mostly because it doesn't happen often that we don't agree, and when we do, it usually turns out that I'm right anyways.  And who wants to brag right?  

But here is a little story for ya.  It is titled:

 "The Day my Husband Betrayed Me."

One day, one measly week ago, John looked at Nathan and noticed that our bald little baby had indeed begun to sprout some actual hair.    Not just little baby fuzz, but actual bonafide hair.   I was thrilled!  John was not.  Instantly, he set his jaw firm and square and vowed to give Nate a haircut as soon as possible.

Well, I don't like to fight, but I must admit, I absolutely put my foot down.   I mean the kid barely even has any hair and John wants to go cut the precious little bit of it off?   Who am I - if not my child's advocate?  Right?   I tried to argue diplomatically and give John a chance to explain why, WHY on earth should our little boy not get to have a head full of  hair like everybody else.  

John's explanation:   (Something along the lines of,)   "blah ...it just looks shaggy....blah....Don't you remember that talk President Hinckley once gave in which he discouraged boys from dressing too casual and ..sloppy...blah blah blah, and do we want sloppy and casual kids...blah blah blah, ...then why even set the precedence...blah blah blah. "

My Rebuttal:    "Uh...but...He's ONE!!!     And let's be serious, it's not like I'm trying to pierce his ears or slap a tattoo on him or anything.    I just want to see what one of my boys would look like with hair.   I mean for real, what if there is some adorable natural curl lurking there and we have no clue?    Besides, winter is coming, and it would only help to keep his head warm right?" (I was totally going for practical with that last part)

All in all, I thought my argument was not only valid, but superior to John's.   Still,  his handsome jaw remained firmly set.  So I took a different, more desperate approach.  I begged John, literally BEGGED him to give me ONE MONTH to just enjoy Nate's cute little fuzzy hair.    One itty bitty month, and  then John could cut it as much as he pleased.

Sounds fair right?     That - was barely over a week ago, and I can not tell you how much I have been looking forward to actually being able to rub some gel into Nate's little locks this coming Sunday and finally style it a bit.  

Well,  tonight the kids and I were having dinner without John, when I glanced over at Nate and it hit me like a load of bricks.    Something was different.  Something was very wrong,  and I could not believe that I had not noticed sooner.  

Do you know what I noticed?

Nate had NO HAIR!!!!     John had cut it!   After only 1 week- John had buzzed all that cute wispy feathery hair right off!!!

And behind my back even!   I honestly don't even know when he found the time to do it, or how he was able to do it without me knowing - but somehow gosh darnit- that wiley little coyote actually cut Nate's hair!      
(Don't let this photo fool you.   Nate is just as ANGRY about it as I am.)

I tell ya, that John is tricky.  Sure, he's handsome, I'll give ya that, but the man is NOT to be trusted.

He'd just better not be surprised if I bring Nate home with a nice TATOO!

I'm thinking "MOM" would look nice!

2 comments:

shauna said...

Oh I am laughing out loud already this morning. That story is hilarious! You are such a talented story teller Tanis.

Jordan and Luci said...

That is hilarious! I love it! So funny! But Tan, he did let the van thing go, so you know. You might have to be the bigger person on this issue....hahaha!