Growing up in my family there was one Christmas tradition that stands out in my memory as the one thing we always did. Every year beginning on December 1st we would eat our dinner each evening by Candlelight. I'm not really sure why this tradition began, but I know it was an important thing to my Dad.
Eating as a family in general was important to my Dad, and looking back- I marvel that a single father of four kids could even manage to put dinner on the table- let alone make it extra special by adding candles. But that is what my Dad did.
My siblings and I sometimes laugh about the countless times we would forget our food and sit instead playing with the hot wax- despite my Dad's constant warnings. He swore to us many times that "this would be the last time we'd get to eat with candles!" But sure enough- the tradition continued.
Year after Year.
Now that I have kids of my own- this is something that has become quite important to me to.
Interestingly enough, my kids seem to have inherited the same incessant need to dip their little fingers into the wax, argue over who gets what candle, and I swear I have to re-light those things about 50 times EVERY MEAL!
But... like my Dad- I keep setting the candles out.
My kids seem to have picked up on the fact that no matter how many times I threaten to be done with this whole tradition, there will inevitably be a candle on the table until December runs out.
It's a bit Utopian I admit, but I am certain that despite the usual daily chaos - it makes for a calmer few minutes together.
I'm pretty sure that the kids linger a bit longer at the table on these nights, and I keep hoping that they will one day look back and recall these December meal times with fondness.
I like to think that we feel a little bit more unity and love for each other because of this tradition.
As you can tell- John has the same appreciation for this tradition that I do:
He is a complete and utter dork!
That pretty much sums up the feelings I have for this man each and every night.
But...only around dinner time.
And...only in December!:)

2 comments:
This post made me laugh! (I may or may not have been laughing AT John!!)
It's true though. Our kids LOVE the candles each night too. I'm glad we are keeping this tradition alive!
I actually think it makes dinner time a LOT more enjoyable. And what dinner doesn't seem more pleasing to eat in the glow of candlelight?
(as an added bonus...due to the lack of light...Brooklyn can't see the onions or tomatoes in her sauces so well and it's definatley helped in the "whiney/picky" department!)
Infact, I might opt for total darkenss one of these nights. They won't be able to complain about what they can't see!!!!!!!!
Hahha, that made me laugh. I love that tradition. We are going to start that one some time soon.
Post a Comment