Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The kids' "worst day" ever!


My family had big plans to get together over the holidays for some cross country skiing.   Unfortunately, unforeseen circumstances, and sad events made it impossible for a couple of my siblings to join us, so we all but decided to postpone for another time.  

On the last day of our school break though Jewel and I decided to get our two families out there and give it a try.    John and I have been enjoying this sport for a couple of years now, but bringing kids along...?    Well, that's a whole other experience!!!!

At some point during the drive out I actually took a second to pray that we would see a wolf.    It was just moments later that we all pulled over to watch this little guy.   
...which actually turned out to probably be a coyote, but still - that's a prayer that was almost answered;)


Waterton that day was a little chilly.   As in, the thermostat on my brother in laws truck was registering at -18 kind of chilly!



But the cold weather made for a beautiful backdrop.  I actually think that the coldest days make for the prettiest days. 



It was a very pretty drive!



And I was immensely grateful for our warm van.   And hot chocolate;)



But eventually, the pretty drive had to come to an end, and we all had to get out...into the cold.  
I'm pretty sure that Jewel and Kendall appreciated having to stand around and wait for us to get all our kids bundled up, and wrangle Nathan into his sled.    (To say we had an unwilling participant would be an understatement.)     Finally though- we were off!!


...and 10 minutes later (at best) we were headed back the way we came.   
Cold.  Frozen.  Hungry.   Frostbit. and Frustrated.

But hey, I think it's remarkable that we braved the frigid temps that long.    Yay us!!!!

On our way down from the mountain the kids each took their turn volunteering just "why exactly" this day was the worst day ever.    And then.....

they all fell asleep!!!

I can hardly wait to get back up there again.   
(Though something tells me that it will most likely be sans children!!)   

1 comment:

Lauren Andersen said...

i thought i had already commented on this, but i guess not. i think your pictures look amazing and i would have loved to have gone cross country skiing in waterton.