This past week I turned 35 which I am THRILLED about!
I'm not like many who dread to admit their ages, rather I embrace each additional year with all my heart! I'll even go one step more and say I can't WAIT to reach 50!!! haha.
It was a fun day on Friday and I felt so grateful for all of the loving people in my life.
Abigail made me laugh so much when shortly after 9:00 that morning she called me from school. When I picked up, she said, "Mom. We have a message from you from all of Mr.Hardy's homeroom class:" The entire class proceeded to sing/yell/scream Happy birthday to me over the phone. (Abby swears that Uncle Kendall was in the classroom and gave her permission to do that, but I don't see how any teacher would authorize such craziness!;) When they had finished singing, Abby then sang one more song with a few of her friends, which was a little less joyful. It went a little bit like this:
Happy Birthday to you
It's your Birthday.
Pain and Misery to spare-
people dying everywhere,
but it's your birthday.
So, Happy Birthday.
It was pretty much the most morbid Birthday song I've ever heard, but it had me looking forward to my 50th more than ever!!! ;) It was hilarious!
That evening we all went over to Jim and Jeanne Gladdings house for a Birthday picnic. The kids had been planning this with them all week long, and though it was not a surprise like last years Birthday dinner, it was still just as fun! Jeanne told me that they were the ones who chose the menu (fried chicken, potato salad, egg salad sandwiches and veggies), they baked the cake, prepped all of the food and dear Nate set the table.
The kids had all gone over to the Gladdings the day before to help with some of the food prep and to bake the cake. Naturally it included a lot of sugary stars. How can you tell this was designed by a bunch of kids? ;)
It was fun to visit with them, as we have truly missed them since leaving the ward, and it was especially fun to watch my kids work to put on a dinner. I was proud of them and so thankful to the Gladdings!!!
My brother Chad and sister Crystal (and their families) were also in town at this same time. We didn't visit much on Friday due to the above plans, but we were able to make up for that on Saturday. One of the gifts John had gotten me was a fishing rod of my own!! (He's grown tired of me tangling up his line perhaps?;) At any rate- I was thrilled and took it as a sign that he was willing to go fishing with me! We could hardly wait, and so on Saturday we talked the family into going fishing out at Romeril. It was a gorgeous afternoon!!!
Picture 16 kids (8 months-15 yrs), 3 dogs, 12 fishing rods, and 8 adults - all searching for a spot to enjoy and relax in our own chosen way. I was impressed at how many of the younger kids wanted to fish!
Nate was so determined to catch a fish this time, it was breaking my heart!
He's developed a pretty good cast though and we're certain that he'll catch one soon - but still, so sad to see his quivering lip at the end of the day and here him exclaim that he's "just not a fisherman."
What a little man!
Sam, on the other hand, was celebrating big time, when just as we were getting ready to call it quits, managed to real in a catch. His first PIKE! It was made all the better by the fact that 15 of his cousins were cheering him on and rejoicing with him. (Later that night I heard him talking/singing to himself in his room that "this was the best day ever - yes it was!!!)

(That is seriously a gross looking fish. Doesn't even look tasty if you ask me;)
It was a really fun weekend with them, full of visiting and celebrating of birthdays. It was a wonderful reminder to me that these people that make up our families are the ones we'll know and care about through all of the eternities. My younger sister often reminds me that it's often these eternal relationships that require the most effort and that shape and mould us the most. I know I sometimes get so preoccupied thinking about schedules and logistics that I forget to just be in the moment and enjoy the ones I am with.

What matters most is what lasts the longest - and our families are forever!
-Elder Ballard
No comments:
Post a Comment