This past month has been all about the sports! As mentioned in a previous post, I feel a tad bit over scheduled with it all, but the kids are loving life and their not sitting around watching TV so much, so I really should be thrilled!
Sam's track and field day with the school was last week. I'm not going to lie, he didn't do so great. BUT he was cheered on by his little posse of pals and coming in 5th or 6th never seemed to damped their enthusiasm. haha. It clearly was not about the event at all!
Sam's also been playing on a minors (baseball) team. A few months back, when I registered him for it, I thought he'd be playing twice a week from 6-7. Our first week in, I quickly realized that wasn't really the case. Baseball is 9 innings people!!!!! He leaves around 5 on game days (for a pre-game practice) and sometimes doesn't get home until 8:30. Oh, and apparently when you are in minors, you compete with other towns, which means there has been a bit of travelling to Magrath and Raymond to support this little dude.
(methinks I should have read the fine print;)

In reality, he is LOVING it and learning lots. He's been working on his pitching skills and can slide into "Home" like nobody' business!
Nate is fierce!
He wanted to be in soccer so bad, and for weeks leading up to is first game day, he would meticulously keep his little shoes, socks and shin guards folded neatly beside his bed. I'll admit he doesn't necessarily love going to soccer these days, but that is only because all they do is work on drills and play relay games that are supposed to teach them basic skills. For an organization trying to build great future soccer players, it makes perfect sense. For a little boy who just wants to play a "real game" it's become an exercise in patience for him.
The boy wants to play!;)

Abby has been playing on a Spring League basketball team since April and has grown as a player in many ways. She's the tallest one on her team (and many teams for that matter) and that has it's advantages and disadvantages. I hope in the weeks/months and years to come, she'll grow to see her height for the gift that it is! In the mean time, I'll try to stop yelling at her to "JUMP!" or "Get that rebound!" I'm really very proud of her. She's had to turn down babysitting jobs, fun with family, and her ward youth days to honour her basketball commitments and that hasn't been easy for her. She's been to four tourneys in Lethbridge, with her final one being this weekend. This has been a big deal for us, because I really don't go to Lethbridge often. (I've gone more in the last two months then I did all last year!;) Sigh...I hope she appreciates it! haha

This past month she's really stepped up and tried hard at Track & Field as well. She started running with John some mornings to build up some endurance and together they would practice/train for other events. She placed 2nd and 3rd in a few of the events and was able to advance to divisional.
We were able to go watch her compete yesterday and I enjoyed seeing her push herself.
Her track & field experience ends here, this year, but she's feeling pretty determined to focus more on this next year, perhaps instead of Spring league.

We've been so very blessed and lucky that Grandpa has been there for these kids, supporting them every step of the way. What a great man Max is. One day he is watching Sam, the next he is cheering on Abby, then he's down in Montana cheering on a grandson there, and soon he'll be in Utah and then Idaho supported milestones in other grandkids' lives. I sure love him and admire all that he does for family near and far.
I myself am looking forward to summer when their are a few less games to go and watch, but don't tell anyone I said that! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment