This past Saturday I found myself feeling swamped, absolutely weighed down with a long list of things that I felt I needed to get done. Every time that I walked by my front window I could see the giant tree tree across the street, its yellow and orange leaves warning me that it's fleeting autumn were worth enjoying. I've noticed that I have less "carpe diem" in me than I used to which is why I will be forever grateful that Jessica came to me on this day and, in her sweet persuasive way, insisted that we go for a drive. We drove to Babb so that I could grab some packages that I knew were there, however when it came time for our return trip, I no longer wanted to go home. The landscape was on fire with orange and yellow and red, and that is when the long list of things I needed to get done no longer mattered.
We opted for the long way home, which meant an hour long drive along the Chief Mountain Highway, a detour into Waterton for the last hot dog of the season, and then finally home. The scenes we passed took our breath away, sometimes moved me to tears and at one point caused us to hope out of the van and dance in the middle of the road while we celebrated our first snowfall of the year.
There is so much in my life that is out of balance right now. I am unfocused, a bit unwilling, and I am carrying a grudge that has been as hard to let go of as my To-Do list. This day was medicine to my soul and a reminder to me that sometimes it is important to take the long way home.
No comments:
Post a Comment