This post has been a long time coming. We just weren't quite ready to be done celebrating Abby's birthday. It was kind of a "Birthday Month" for her.
On her actual birthday, John took her out for dinner. One of those sweet "I want to be her first date" kind of a thing. It meant a lot to Abby, though I was kind of bugged that we didn't get to have a birthday dinner with her. They came back home around 7:30 to find Abbys local cousins here ready to sing and eat cake.
I generally try to take my kids on a birthday date at some point, this year Abby drove me to Waterton for some ice cream. (I'm not sure how Jess managed to come along. She is kind of like a pet dog that way. If she hears the jingle of car keys, she is out the door and in the van, before anyone even realizes.)
Abby tried to take her drivers test (to receive a class five license) a week after her birthday. The whole experience was such a disaster. Abby was stressed, I was frustrated, we had forgotten to update our proof of insurance which caused delay....oh and Abby ran a stop sign.
Neither Abby nor I were shocked when the tester told her she'd failed.
It was hard for Abby, but I was so proud of her for not only trying but for letting it be a teaching experience for her. We are the product of everything we experience, and I am so thankful for the experiences that Abby has had in life, so far. She is truly turning into one of the most reliable and consistently steady friends that I have. I absolutely adore her!
Abby waited a couple of weeks and tried her test again, this time securing a passing score.
She was so excited and is constantly looking for reasons to drive!!
(note her loyal little puppy companion in the front seat;)
It has been so nice to be able to send Abby for the kids after school or to have her to run an errand. Last night, she went to a party and returned home shortly before midnight. I kinda loved that I didn't have to get out of my pajamas and drive out of town to pick her up.
Granted, I did feel like my heart was on my sleeve for 4 hours and I had a constant prayer in my heart that she would be safe and well, while not in our care.
Sigh...motherhood is a double-edged sword at times.
Happy Birthday, Girl!!
No comments:
Post a Comment