Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Waiting on Christmas - Part 1

As my kids grow older it is getting increasingly difficult to feel the magic of the Christmas season.  
I've felt a need to seize any opportunity given during December to do things as a family. 

This is how the first half of our month of Christmas went:

Jessica finished her ten-week art class and we all attended her celebratory art show. 
She really enjoyed this class and I can't wait to see how she continues to grow her talent.  
(Note:  The watercolor dog and the sketch of Linda Burwell were two of her projects this month)

Speaking of projects - Jessica also finished her PERSONAL PROGRESS this month!!!
This young women method of goal setting is coming to an end in our church, and I won't lie, I'm kinda excited for the change.   There was a great push through to finish by Christmas and with persistence and nagging, she completed it just in time.   
I'm so glad she did.  

There is something to be said for seeing a goal through to the end.  


Another thing I have loved about this month, and always, are our mealtimes with Grandpa.  
For the most part, we have managed to eat our suppers in December by candlelight.
A tradition that stems from my childhood, this seems to slow us down just enough to connect a little more, even if just for a moment.  



We always have the Gladdings join us for dinner near Christmas and we were thrilled to get to visit with them each again.  Sweetest couple ever!
Sam looks slightly evil in the photo above, but I swear despite the fact that he looks as though he is plotting to take over the world -  he was just goofing off.   He likes the Gladdings just as much as the rest of us!


For the past few years, we have enjoyed visiting the Creche display in Lethbridge.  An LDS stake center is completely decorated and filled with creches and theme rooms all depicting aspects of the Savior's life.   In the chapel, they have musical performances by city members.  
It's actually quite reverent and breathtaking. 
Definitely one of my favorite things to do when we are needing to remind our kids of the true meaning of Christmas.  


And in case a visit to see the Creche displays isn't Christmassy enough - we make sure to always catch our local 10-minute production of the Nativity.  It runs for just a few days but is really well done!   I think I LOVE a good Nativity - in any form!

Nate wanted a Christmassy hairstyle for crazy hair day during the last week of school. 
John buzzed out the shape of a tree and then I went in behind and painted on a Christmas tree.  
The ope was that when Nate was working hard at his desk (because that happens, right?) this would be what everyone saw.  

Apparently, you are never too old to enjoy a gingerbread house making competition.  The boys struggled less to keep theirs together and they didn't hesitate to point that out while us girls were working hard to hold our walls in place, but in the end we added a backyard basketball court to our house, which shut those boys right up!  Boo yah!


During the month of December, Grandpa lingers after dinner a bit more than he usually does.  (Perhaps it is the soothing affect of those candles?)   We like the extra time with him. 
On one Sunday evening he stayed and watched the LDS Christmas Devotional with us.  
The older I get, the more I love this annual evening.


John and I were hosts at our local theatre during their production of the Forgotten Carols.
John took this role to heart and dusted off his theatre vest and bow tie. 
He stole the show and got so many comments about his festive outfit.  haha

We had four Christmas trees in our house this year.  FOUR!
My favorite one is this one.  It is full of black and white photos of my family's adventures.  It also features popcorn garland which we strung ourselves!
I think that will be a new tradition for us.  So fun!


I'm a sucker for Christmas decor.  No matter how much I chuck and throw away, I hold true to the notion that you can never NEVER have too many Christmas decorations.


No comments: