On December 31st, while completely high on "New Year" vibes and energy, I set a goal to complete 52 hikes in the next year. 52 hikes in 52 weeks, people!
Hike #1 was this jaunt-up Bears Hump on New Years' Eve. (Off to a good start, eh?;)
The hike up was actually more tolerable than I expected, probably because the snowpack served to eliminate the ordinarily large rock steps that are usually hard on my knees. The snow also worked to my advantage on the way down as I simply sat on my bum and slid my way down the mountain, switch back to switch back. (Fastest descent, ever!)

It was actually a spectacular experience to stand at the top with my family and look at the wintery scene below. It gave me all the happy, positive, "New Year" feels and I made sure to insist to my family several times (while sliding down) that we should do this hike from now on, on January 1st, every year, forevermore!
I was met with silence every time, but I'm pretty sure they dug the experience, too.



No comments:
Post a Comment