Thursday, April 19, 2007

Earth Day


Sunday April 22nd is National Earth Day. First created by Senator Gaylord Nelson in the United States 37 years ago. I remember celebrating Earth Day in Elementary School. All grades would meet outside to pick up garbage in the schoolyard and along the nearby ditches. Afterwards we'd be rewarded with a popsicle. It's funny how picking up garbage seemed so fun... on that one day.
There is an older man in our neighborhood who walks his dog every day and I've noticed that in his hand he also carrys a big bag for...garbage. I've seen him all over my neighborhood cleaning up the schools, churches, parks etc. What a kind deed. That reminds me of another kind deed I once witnessed my brother do. I was driving home when I noticed a cop car a little ways ahead of me flip a U and drove up on the sidewalk right behind a young teenage boy. It only took a second to realize that the cop was my brother. Later I asked my brother what crime that teenager could possibly have done to invoke such a response from him. Turns out that kid was not a theif or a vandaliser...just your ordinary litterbug!! You can bet that young boy will think twice before littering again...the ticket was hefty:)) So hats off to that old man and his dog...and to the men in blue who make it a priority to keep our earth clean!

I'm looking forward to celebrating this day with my kids. (Unless it is still snowing and then forget it:))

Here is a list of ideas and activities I found on line. Go to this page and try a few yourself!

www.ecokidsonline.com/pub/eco_info/topics/environmental/earthday_events.cfm

2 comments:

CHEMTD said...

Great post Tanis, I had forgotten all about Earth Day - thanks.

Tanis, said...

hee hee. Stay tuned for my post on "National Hug Day." Just looking for reasons to celebrate I guess:))