So yesturday was a pretty good day. I got a lot done. The kids played with friends...all in all very productive. That is...until...the "episode" as I like to refer to it as. John came home from work and I began preparing dinner, as is the routine for us. Now, I have often said that bad things can happen in that hour before supper and today was proof of that. Minutes before eating I asked John to help the kids wash up and come to eat. Abby came...Jess came...no Sam. John went looking for him, but our house is not very big. It wasn't long before he came back to report that Sam...couldn't be found. Good Grief I thought- I do NOT have time for this. We looked and looked for him. Then we called and called for him. After several minutes of this I began to get frantic - we began yelling for him. ...Nothing.
It was then that I realized our front door was unlocked. Not open-but unlocked. Common sense told me there was no way he could reach the doorknob (as we'd purposely installed it several inches higher than on normal doors.) Yet...what if Abby opened it? What if it had been left opened? What if...
Panic hit. That is when I realized that one of two things happened. Either Sam escaped outside or he was somewhere in the house...hurt and unable to call out. A significant amount of time had gone by by this point. What if Sam had gotten all the way down the street and fallen down the steep hill...what if he was wandering the neighborhood lost and panicking...what if, well I know this town is safe but the worst possible scenario was going through my mind, and as I ran down the street in search of him, I felt certain that Sam had been kidnapped and was halfway to the border by now.
All the sudden a sweet little voice called out, "I found him!" John and I both ran to where Abby was and sure enough there too was Sam. In the house...in his room...underneath a big pile of stuffed animals...with a BIG grin on his face, a bag of cookies clutched to his chest.
You know that shaky feeling you get when you've been in a car accident? I felt that for the rest of the night. Every time I looked at that tiny little boy I had to take him in my arms and tell him I loved him and BEG him not to scare me like that again. Yet...looking back I can't help but feel a little bit nervous. There is no doubt that he heard John and I calling for him. No doubt...he knew he should answer us- yet he didn't. Infact, the whole experience was quite a delight for him. I'm afraid my son has a very twisted sense of humor.
Why is it that kids enjoy watching us sweat?
7 comments:
Oh man, my heart was pounding just reading that! That is way too scary! Why do kids do that?! I'm so glad that there was a happy (and really funny) end to that story! Sounds like he's gonna be a handfull in his teenage years!
AAggghhh!! That is so scary, and I know that exact feeling. Why do we automatically start thinking the worst--we put ourselves through a lot sometimes don't we? I am glad Sam is ok and everything turned out well in the end.
I would have been soo worried too......I have to say...that sounds like something that Dallin would have done. What is with these sweet..yet mischeivous boys who think it is so great getting a reaction out of us.I am glad he is ok....and the fact that he was sitting there with a bag of cookies is pretty funny. What a guy.
Tanis- Libbi LOVES that movie of abby! She honestly watches it like 3 times a day- AT LEAST
Oh I remember that feeling. Paige did that not too long ago but she was asleep in the pile of blankets not grinning and holding a bag of cookies. Maybe it is a second child thing...testing us to see if we really love them as much as the first one.
Oh my! How scary! Yet, the ending was so funny. I pictured him in that pile of stuffed animals, all blended in.....just like E.T. in the movie, where he was hiding in the closet amongst all the stuffed animals.
SO glad you had a happy ending.
Yeah it pretty much looked like that.
Post a Comment