Before Chad and Heather went home they took us to Writing on Stone for the day. Neither John or I had ever been there before. It really was an amazing little place, full of hoodoos and fun things to climb on. I couldn't help but think of a few of John's nephews who would have LOVED it there. Our kids played and climbed and would have done so for hours if we'd let them. We enjoyed a great picnic together, played down at the beach and basically tried NOT to think about the fact that summer was almost over. HA!
That was yesturday. This morning we got up early, and John got ready for work. Even though the students don't begin classes until Tuesday, John had to start work today. All morning I kept begging him to just call in sick. Don't go. If he truly loved me....he wouldn't go to work ...that kinda thing. I know- I'm not needy or anything eh?:) I am not ready to say good bye to the convenience of having him around all the time. It's been so nice. Perhaps I just know too well this time around what we are in for. Hours of lesson prep...late night marking....coaching.... Arrgghhhh! So that is how today went. John went to work, and I took the kids grocery shopping alone, harvested the onions, baked 8 loaves of zuchini bread and cleaned out my fridge. The entire time however, I was lamenting the fact that we were not out enjoying these fleeting summer days!
However, I couldn't help but notice some nice and perhaps welcome changes. For example I actually cooked a meal tonight, and we ate alone as a family for the first time in a long time. We enjoyed a nice family walk as the sun set. The kids were in their beds by 8:30 as opposed to the summer routine of you know - no earlier then 11:00! I forgot how nice routine is.
So what started out to be a sad goodbye to a really great summer, has almost become a welcome to the new season. I really do think I'm looking forward to the change. Someone remind me of that when the first snow falls eh!



3 comments:
I Hear ya! I hate saying goodbye to summer too, but it's nice to get back into a routine. You sure were quite productive this summer, way to go!
What you accomplished in one day would honestly take me a week. You are amazing!!! I know I am gonna miss summer too--it needs to be at least a month longer.
Nice job with all those pickles.
Writing on Stone really is a cool place isn't it. I can hardly believe you hadn't been there before.
Also, that corn on the cob that Jessica is working on looks really good, so much better than the ones I saw in my local Safeway yesterday. I think I might just have to go for a drive and see if I can't find a Taber corn truck somewhere in this city.
Post a Comment