Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Fun

We've got the flu at our place. I'm elated. I'm not even being sarcastic right now. Though that might sound like something awful for a nurturing mother like me to say, words cannot explain my relief that we are all getting sick now, rather then next week. We've done the whole Flu during Christmas thing before. Not fun. Of course, this does make me question the validity of FLU SHOTS and I can't help but wonder why, WHY did I rush to Pincher Creek and force my children to be poked by those horrible needles? Every year I take the kids to get the vacinne, and every year I ignore guilty feelings I have due to the controversy of the flu shots. Once and for all can someone give me the low down? You know. Yay or nay on the whole debate. What are the risks, why is it so controversial, and WHY do we still get the flu?

Like I said though - it's all good. By the weekend all will be well again around here.

I took Abby and Sam out the other night to a nativity display hosted by another stake. It was really nice to see so many different styles and cultural depictions of the saviors birth.
Just outside of the church they were putting on a live Nativity show, which the kids desperately wanted to see. It was freezing, blasting cold out though, and I must admit I did feel a twinge of guilt when I told Abby that they were "cancelling the show" for the night. "Then why is Mary riding on that donkey?" Abby asked. Turns out she also noticed the half dozen youth dressed as angels sitting up on the roof of the church too. Busted. Why are my kids tougher then me? When did that happen? Still, we braved the cold, went, saw it, and enjoyed a little bit more of the Christmas season.


Since I titled this post "Christmas Fun" I'd better post something at least mildly fun. This is a great medley that I saw on Melissa's blog last year. 


!
Only one more week 'till Christmas

6 comments:

Joanna said...

I agree - better this week then next!
In my opinion flu shots suck. The only year I got one (like 10 years ago) is the only year I actually got sick. Seriously. The actual shot is only good for one strain of the flu - and they have no idea which one will be the most commonly spread every year... I'm not sure on how they choose which one to vaccinate you with, but still - you are open to any other strain of the flu.
That's just according to me, but I don't think its worth it.

Anonymous said...

Tanis, that clip was awesome! I love hearing guys sing, and it's even better when it is funny. Thanks for sharing, and I hope your kids get better soon! :o) (I hope you don't mind that I posted the video on my blog as well). Merry Christmas!

Melissa said...

I forgot about that music clip from last Christmas....so funny! Sorry to hear your kids are sick. I don't know whole lot about the flu shot to call myself a expert or anything....but I am all for it. It may not protect you against all strains of the flu but at least some. I know you feel bad having your kids go through it but I find they tend to forget about it soon enough. I have heard "they" (whoever that is) try to determine which strain of flu will be most common and then that is what they vaccinate for. Hope you all get well soon to enjoy the holidays!!

Paula said...

Sorry to hear you are all sick! I'm a bit worried that we've all been healthy for just a little bit too long, if you know what I mean. I would love to post that clip on my blog, if it's OK with you. I love it! I just can't figure it out...I'll get Brett to help me. Hope you all feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

What, you have the flu? What nasty sister of yours gave that to your family? Um....this is awkward! Merry Christmas (I guess I'd better get you something extra nice this year since I made your family sick!). How would a bottle of gravol in your stocking do? (hang in there, the worst is over now!).

Lorin said...

Well, sorry about and congratulations on the flu then. I agree it's nice to at least get it out of the way.

That video clip is great! Thanks for putting it up. I would never have seen it otherwise I'm sure.