With the year drawing to an end, I've been reflecting a lot on the events of the past 12 months. At this time last year I was contemplating my what my New Years resolution(s) would be for 2008. I was inspired by a friend to try something new. Instead of making a list of several changes/goals for the new year, she suggested finding one word that would become our theme for the next year. One word, that would mean something to us and encompass all that we want to accomplish in all aspects of life. I loved that concept and after several days of thinking I decided my word for 2008 would be savor. My goal seemed simple, it was to savor all the good things in my life. Enjoy them. Relish in the goodness that I've been blessed with. I wanted to learn how to relax and appreciate those things that matter most. I had hoped to learn how to never take things for granted. Although this might seem lofty and as unattainable as any other new years resolution I could have made, I promise the results have been amazing. I've not perfected this, but having the focus to savor the good things truly opened my eyes to just HOW good things are!
We did more, travelled more, and experienced more as a family this year then ever before. It seemed as though, the moment I decided to "enjoy" each aspect of my life, was the moment life got really really good. Maybe this goal just helped to open my eyes wide open to what has always been here. The only difference now is that I'm learning to appreciate it and be grateful for it.

This weekend John and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary. 7! That's a pretty good number if you ask me. Sure it isn't quite a decade but it is more then 5. More then 6 years even! 7! Wow. Looking back on the past 7 years together there has been so much change. Some adversity. Lots of weakness (eh heh...moving on), and tonnes of learning. I shouldn't want to change any of that. Not a thing. If I've learned anything this year, it is to be grateful for every up and try to acknowledge the blessings in each down as well.
So here's to 7 more. And 7 more after that. And 7 more then. Actually here's to forever together. I'll be savoring it all!
We did more, travelled more, and experienced more as a family this year then ever before. It seemed as though, the moment I decided to "enjoy" each aspect of my life, was the moment life got really really good. Maybe this goal just helped to open my eyes wide open to what has always been here. The only difference now is that I'm learning to appreciate it and be grateful for it.
This weekend John and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary. 7! That's a pretty good number if you ask me. Sure it isn't quite a decade but it is more then 5. More then 6 years even! 7! Wow. Looking back on the past 7 years together there has been so much change. Some adversity. Lots of weakness (eh heh...moving on), and tonnes of learning. I shouldn't want to change any of that. Not a thing. If I've learned anything this year, it is to be grateful for every up and try to acknowledge the blessings in each down as well.
So here's to 7 more. And 7 more after that. And 7 more then. Actually here's to forever together. I'll be savoring it all!
8 comments:
What a beautiful post Tanis! You are an amazing lady! I remember the day(post) that you chose Savor for your theme. I thought it was an awesome idea, and your word was beautiful! I remember thinking that I was going to be a copy cat and use the same word.(hope you don't mind) I can't wait to see what this next years theme is!...don't worry I've been thinkin' of my own ;)
Thank you so much for being such a wonderful real woman, mother, sister, and wife. You're truly an example of the type of woman I'd like to be someday.
Also, I hope you haven't mind having a blog friendship this past year. I consider you a friend and I look forward to seeing what you and your family have in store for 2009!
Take care and I'm glad that you had a wonderful Christmas! Have a safe, healthy, and happy New Year!
Thanks for the post Tanis. You have the right attitude! Thank you for the eye opener! I think I have to agree with you though...once you are looking for the blessings in your life there are sooo many! Congratulations on your 7th anniversary!!!!
Happy Anniversary! Love your blog, and I love your 'one word' idea! (It seems to be more 'do-able' than my typical mile-long resolution list...) Happy New Year!
Great post Tanis!! You are such a great example to me and I love reading your blog....you inspire me. Happy Anniversary!!!
Tanis awesome word, awesome goal. I can feel the joy and zest for life through your posts and wonderful photos. Here's wishing you a wonderful 2009 filled to the brim with every day moments to savor.
Great post Tanis, and an even better example. We really savored our time with you guys this past weekend.
- C
I too, remember when you decided to "savor" 2008.
Looking forward to hearing what your new word for this year will be.
Congratualtions to you and John on your first 7 years!
Tanis, I love this idea also of picking one word to focus on. Can I steal it? Actually I already did-I kinda copied your word last year because after reading your post about the whole savor thing a year ago, it just stuck in my mind and without meaning to I reflected on it again and again and eventually realized I also was striving to savor life. So thank you thank you for all the many (and there are many!) ways you have inspired me over the few years I have known you. I am glad you keep such a wonderful blog as it inspires and "lifts" me always. (That should be an easy one for you-you already do it.) Happy new year!
Post a Comment