This weekend I went back to attend a wedding reception. You know, nothing makes you feel old, like seeing the girl you used to babysit get married.
As soon as we drove into town, I was overcome with feelings of nostalgia. John patiently drove around (as per my instruction) and toured the town with me as I jabbered about "this spot"...and "that place"... and "oh yeah and this one time....!" Oh my it was a lot of fun. Don't you have spots like that in your hometown. Places that bring back all those great memories?
Take a tour of my town, why don't you:
This is the Claresholm water tower, where my high school sweetheart painted my name in bright green. I'm just kidding! (If you've never heard the old country song, "John Deere Green" you won't think that was funny. Even if you have heard that song, you might not think that was funny.) I assure you No graffiti was EVER done on account of me. In fact, I never even had a High School sweetheart, or ...a High school...date for that matter. (I think it was the whole tall, gangly, awkward with braces thing that I had going on. Maybe it was the perm?)
Side note: Imagine my joy this weekend when 5 people said that I hadn't changed AT ALL since they last saw me. FIVE people said that I "LOOKED EXACTLY THE SAME as I did 11 years ago!) Thanks a lot;)
Here is the famous 7-11. I dare anyone to say they have not stopped here for a little bit of chicken on a stick. Often when someone asks me where I grew up, I get a blank face when I try to explain Claresholm. As soon as I mention the 7-11 however, eyes light up and people know exactly what town I am talking about. This was the spot to hang out on a Friday night. I mean, if you were 16 it was. Pretty much anybody who was anybody would gather here and spend a few hours flirting and acting all cool and stuff. It was such fun. Well, I mean, I never personally actually got to hang out here on Friday nights. (braces and perm etc) But I sometimes drove by, so ...that was fun, I guess.
This little restaurant sells the best french fries with a sour cream and chive dip. No major memory connected with this place, except for that dip. I miss that dip.
This was where I got my first real job as a cashier. Back then it was called the garden market IGA and I loathed going to work there. Loathed it. I spent a lot of time trying to get out of shifts at this place. A lot of time. If I had a dollar for every hour I spent trying to get OUT of working...
It got too dark before I could take photos of some of my other favorite spots. The post office, the schools, my old home, the Cedar Gardens restaurant where my Dad used to take us for dinner every fast Sunday after church. All of those places were so fun to see, but nothing was more enjoyable then getting to see so many of the people that I loved. Former young women's leaders, teachers, parents of friends, and friends themselves ...an entire community who I felt truly cared about my siblings and I. Those were the people who made Claresholm home to me. I was glad to get to see so many of them.
In every way, it was a great evening. I came home (now I'm talking about that charming little place where John and I live), with a renewed determination to keep in better contact with old acquaintances.
And a haircut.
I think it is time for a haircut.
3 comments:
You had me scared for a minute there Tanis. I thought you were going to tell us about another famous landmark that burned down just after you visited it. Glad it's still there! I mean what would we all do without it?
I've always thought Claresholm would be a nice place to live. A nice size as small towns go, situated the perfect distance between Calgary and Waterton. I always stop at the 7-11 of course, even though lately, since they got into deep frying stuff in a seriously hard core kind of way, you can't spend 30 seconds in there without your clothes smelling of fry grease for the next 24 hours.
It's always so busy, I heard the owners of that 7-11 are officially the third richest people in Canada now. OK I didn't hear that but I'd like to officially start that rumour now please.
Good ol Claresholm! haha...many, many stopovers at that 7-11...Lucky you :)
Yeah, I (like Lorin) am glad you didn't burn the place down because that chicken on a stick stuff is GOOD!
Post a Comment