Sunday, May 24, 2009

Friday in Waterton

I've been wanting to get the kids to Waterton for several days now, but we've held off on going so that John could come with us. Friday after school we grabbed my niece Ava and headed there to find some fun.

It was a beautiful day! So often in Waterton you have to deal with wind or cooler temps, but this day was perfect. Not even a breeze. We took a great walk around Linette Lake. It's a fun stroll and super super easy. The kids had fun designating certain logs, benches etc homes for various bears. "Bertha bear lives here....bruno bear lives here...." That kind of thing. I love watching the kids play like that.

I took some landscape photos but I posted them on my other blog.


Midway through the walk we saw two people ride some horses down a mountain trail and we just had to to go check out the stables. Well I HAD to go, and John was perfectly happy to do whatever. That's usually how it works. I LOVE horses and want to ride one so badly. Apparently they don't like to let pregnant women ride though. Hmmm. I was slightly let down by that. I mean, seriously I'm sure the pioneers still rode horses even when they were pregnant. Yes?

Oh well. Instead we paid a small sum and rented two ponies for half an hour and gave the kids rides.
Because all kids should learn how to ride a horse.

Even....the if you are only two!


Can someone PLEASE tell my husband that we NEED a horse. Not "want". NEED!

Just add it in the comment section below.

I think if I get 1000 comments pleading my case....he might listen.


After soaking in the sweet scent of musty barn, oats and horse ...um "stuff" we headed to the park to check out the new playground. They've replaced all of the play structures and it is a GREAT park now. The kids played for an hour and ate their supper occasionally during that time.

Abby did manage to do the monkey bars successfully. The mountain air must have maximized her strength and endurance. I was proud of her.



I was equally proud of Jessica for the way she managed to spend a large chunk of time doing this. ...Just hangin!



And nothing tops off a day in Waterton like a trip to the ice cream store.

And for the record- just so you know: all it takes to hear your kids say "This was the Best day EVER" and "You are the best mom in the World" - is one giant scoop of bubble bubble blast ice cream!

Money well spent if you ask me.

43 comments:

Heather said...

What a fantastic looking afternoon. Serioiusly I wish edmonton were so close to waterton.

I guess I wont be doing any horseback riding in waterton this summer.

And yes you do NEED a horse! John you should get her one. An investment in your wives happiness is worth it.!

Crystal said...

What an awesome day. I loved the pictures and thanks for the tip about the ice cream...brilliant!

Debbi said...

um, you TOTALLY need a horse. :)

Jewel said...

Fun day Tanis. I wish we were there. We will definately have to try out those horses next time. Thanks for taking Ava along. She loved it.

Anonymous said...

Okay -- now I'm needing a Waterton trip. We haven't made it up there in quite some time, and I can't stand it! Have you ever done the Rowe Lakes hike? So gorgeous.

Laura Leavitt said...

what a fun FUN day. My Grandparesnt own an icecream store and my kids think that is the coolest thing. I wish we lived closer to Waterton. I love it their.

Lorin said...

Tanis, if I ever inherit a horse or one just happens to follow me home one day, I promise you can have it.

Years of accompanying tourists on single file walking only "trail rides" has put me off horses for good.

Anonymous said...

Mike says the hike probably has a decent amount of snow until near the end of June, and it is a pretty decent hike -- I'm probably not going to try it until next year again when I'm NOT pregnant, but I have issues with my hips sometimes with walking for a long time when I'm pregnant. I'll have to try to find some of my pictures from the hike and put them on my blog for you.

Jordan and Luci said...

Are you ready for a lot of Waterton trips this summer? I can't wait. Libbi keeps asking to play with Abby and Sam.

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse

Anonymous said...

you should get a horse