So if there is one thing I have been determined to do throughout this pregnancy it was to keep the gender of this little babe a secret. With all of my other children I have wanted to find out early what we were having. Whether I wanted to be able to prepare, or I was too impatient to "wait and find out", I have never desired that surprise at delivery.
Until now.
I don't know what it is that makes this pregnancy so different. Perhaps I wanted something to look forward to throughout these crumby months of sickness. Maybe the fact that we have a boy and girls has made me less worried about being surprised. I think, more likely, it is the fact that this could very well be the last time I agree to go through this that might have something to do with it.
I wanted a surprise. I wanted it bad.
In fact as the ultrasound technician walked into the room last week prior to the exam she said, "Hello" and I said, "I DON'T want to know what I'm having!" I said it - clearly, emphatically and with absolute resolve! I said it before I said anything else!
Well that well meaning technician agreed to keep it a secret, she put that little doppler doo dad on my exponentially expanding tummy and she jumped! "Whoa" she said. "Are you SURE you don't want to know what you are having because I can tell you Right NOW!"
A little bit deflated I insisted again, that I wanted a surprise. Never mind the fact that she pretty much just gave it away. So she continued with the exam, calling the little critter a HE the entire time. I didn't think much of that because they have to refer to it as something right? Well midway through, this all too talkative technician turned the screen away and said, "Oh I can't let you see this part- just in case HE WANTS TO SHOW OFF!"
ARRGGGG!! Do you not realize you have given it away!
Where are the snarky technicians who refuse to say ANYTHING to you when you want one? You know the ones who are so silent that you are convinced something is wrong but they just won't tell you? No I got Miss Talks-a lot!I left the clinic feeling relieved that our baby is seemingly healthy and happy as it swims around merrily causing havoc on my body. I also left feeling like the universe was conspiring against me and that no matter how hard I tried, for some reason I just had to KNOW
that we are having a Boy!We are thrilled. Two girls - two boys. Perfectly balanced if you ask me and Sam could use a Brother so badly. He's getting a little too comfortable playing with his sisters and their dress up clothes, if you know what I mean.
It's perfect!
Besides, surprises really are over rated right?
8 comments:
Yay for a boy!! Congrats, Tanis!
I'm sure you were surprised that she told you right?? there's your surprise :)
Congrats!
Too bad about the technician spoiling the surprise. I had someone like that with Tyson. Not quite as obvious, but I still left feeling 99.9% sure that it was a boy. I do dislike the ones who don't say a single thing either, so I guess it is better to know what the baby is than to worry about it's health. At any rate it is so exciting that it is a boy. A little unfair that it is so perfect! Just joking! Love ya lots!
- H
Fun fun! Yeah -- I always thought they weren't allowed to say anything... I think they're getting a bit more relaxed now. When is your due date again? I forget. Congratulations!
Very exciting, yet I am sorry the tech. told you when you didn't want to know. Glad to hear he is healthy and well. :)
Sorry your surprise was spoiled. We all know people who are absolutely unable to resist telling secrets. Unfortunately this particular person decided to become an ultrasound technician. I'm pretty sure being able to not-so-subtly tell parents who don't want to know is the highlight of her day.
YIPEE!!!! We are so excited for you! Sometimes things just can't be hidden. When I was prego with Luke, the tech didn't even have to say anything, by then I knew exactly what I was looking at! Boys are the best, and Sam WILL love having a brother (and Abby and Jess too)!
Congrats, Tanis! It's still a surprise right? Just a bit premature. So sorry about the technician. What a hoser.
Post a Comment