Saturday, June 6, 2009

Who's laughing now!

It has been an unusual spring hasn't it. I don't remember a year when winter has persisted as much as this year, and for the most part I've been OK with that. The odd snowstorm in May...sure I can handle that. Losing all of my bedding out plants at the END of may...no problem, after all this is Alberta right? We specialize in unusual and unexpected weather patterns. To be honest I've rather enjoyed these late spring snowfalls because it gives me the chance to taunt my Arizona grown sister-in law who recently moved here. This is her first winter here and it has been lots of fun to see hre go through this. I like to think that her "American genes" just can't handle this climate. It always makes for a good laugh.


And really, when you wake up one June morning to this- what else is there to do but LAUGH?


I did laugh as I peeked out my bedroom window this morning. I laughed for a brief moment.

...and then - I cried.


I cried really hard when I realized that my garden (which hours earlier had been showing beautiful signs of growth in every row) was now blanketed with inches of snow. You can't see it but at the far back by the fence the Raspberry bushes were all bent to the ground from the weight, and I'm pretty sure those berry blossoms that were indication of a great crop are pretty much dead now.



I guess there will be no home made Raspberry Souffle with home grown berries this year. I mean sure, I've never made "souffle" before. Infact up until now I hadn't ever desired to make it. But I'm just saying that should I want to make Raspberry Souffle, (whatever it is)- well I CAN'T! It's one of those "you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" kinda things I guess.

That is the thing about spring storms. The cold is only part of the problem. Spring snow is always FULL of water and heavy. Our yard was proof of that. Several limbs from our mature trees had fallen to the ground, and John has spent the day cleaning that up.


But what really made me sad was seeing this:



Our brand new pear tree snapped like a twig. Oh the poor thing. This was our favorite one and we'd strategically planted it here because when we build our new home next year, this tree will grace our front yard. It was to be our pride and joy. The pinnacle of our front landscaping. All the neighbors and visitors would envy it's lovely blossoms and it would provide us with golden spice pears by the pail full. ur...we'd hoped.

Now it will be the stubby old pathetic tree that graces our future front lawn.
Yup I wasn't laughing for long.
In fact, I've just made an executive desicion for my family.
I'm moving to Arizona. I hear it rarely snows there.
Who's with me?





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad about your tree! Mike was out at 4am and again around 8am shaking the snow off our baby trees -- thank goodness they didn't have any damage. It's hard to believe how much snow we've gotten, but I figure there's not much I can do about it! :o) Hope you're feeling well!

Matt and Amie said...

I dont believe it! I would have cried for sure! I'll see you in Arizona!

shauna said...

I'm so sad for your pear tree...and your raspberry bushes. Raspberry souffle sounds heavenly! Guess what - the only snow Sparwood got was in the top of the mountains. Terry left my strawberries outside and they still look alright. Maybe you can come over and we'll make strawberry souffle instead!

Thanks again for today. When I look back on everything, you don't know how MUCH I appreciated those few minutes of alone time you gave me. Yeesh - what an afternoon!

Jewel said...

Oh, that poor little tree. I still think it looks good though, it's got character now!

Jordan and Luci said...

Hah! Take that! That's what you get for making fun of me...actually no rasberries or pears means that I don't get to partake of all the goodness you create from them. YOu just made me more depressed about the snow. Anyways, housing is great in AZ! We can leave the boys behind if you want! The commute to AZ isn't too bad!

Laura Leavitt said...

that is our plan.....if we get in. This winter has made the stress of moving away a tad bit easier.

Dick Family said...

Oh no!!!! That's horrible and so sad...I'm sorry all your work was wrecked! Hopefully the Lord will bless us with a longer fall so that these things can re-grow and we can get something out of this!