Friday, November 6, 2009

One week in

I have to thank John for posting the previous announcement about the birth of Nathan. It was a sweet post, and probably the most spiritual one this site has ever seen. John should update more often:) I also was so grateful for all of your kind comments and congrats.

I've been meaning to sit down and write to update, and journal the events of this past week, but to be honest - the events have all become a little bit blurry! I had planned to write about John's Halloween birthday, which came and went without much ado. I'd planned to write about the hillarious Cowboy Doctor that we had.


Most of all though- I'd wanted to write about how wonderful John was throughout it all. The perfect "coach." I am so grateful for his soothing and calming disposition in moments like that, and really in life in general.

All the details of that awesome day are recorded in a journal for Nate, and as much as I wanted to share it here (all the gory details), my brain is mush now.
Consider youself lucky!
Suffice it to say that November 1st was one of the happiest days ever. There is no better feeling then that second when you hold your baby for the first time and realize it is all over! The past 9 months, 5 days, and 7 hours will one day be a distant memory.

I was done. And I felt so VICTORIOUS! Of course it helps to have an awesome awesome husband who makes you feel like you've just conquered the world!




It was a great day!

As John mentioned -Nathan was a little over 9 pounds, which didn't surprise the doctor and nurses much. What did surprise them though, was the size of his hands and feet. This is not going to be a little boy- that's for sure! But he is still little enough to fit perfectly into our arms right now- and we love him as though he's always been here.



We brought little Nate home on Monday, let the kids each hold him once, took a picture, and then I whisked Nate off to our room where he has remained and will remain for the next week. The next day (Tuesday) Sam, Abby and Jess ALL had their own little bout of the SWINE FLUE. Sam was the least severe, complaining of only headache, stomach upset and coughing. Jess was in between with a low grade fever and a cough, and Abby was knocked out with every symptom in the book and a burning fever for a couple of days.



For the past few days, we've been trying our best to sanitize, sterilize, isolate, medicate and quarantine as much as possible.

It has made me so frustrated at times that we have to go through this when I did everything right to prevent it. Remember how much I freaked out about it last week? I stood in line for 3 hours amidst contractions to immunize the family, we're ALL hand sanitizer ADDICS now, and I kept the kids home from church and pre-school for two weeks prior to my due date - just to avoid the germs.

All that Stress last week. Completely WASTED!!!! (There is nothing worse then wasted stress!)

The kids are all on the mend, and Nate so far is doing great! In fact he is the DREAM baby. Not a bit of jaundice. He's thriving for sure. And he is already sleeping for up to 5 hours in between feedings. He has the roundest face and dark hair. His eyes don't appear to be brown, which makes me wonder if this little guy could have some of that stunning hardy blue that so many of my nieces and nephews do. Over all, he reminds me so much of Abby. Almost a spitting image of her in fact.

Well, that is week 1 with Nate so far. Until I get another burst of unexplained energy, here are some more pics of the cute one!




My niece Ava knitted this hat for Nate. I think he likes it!






Nate, John, and Grandpa Max.


9 comments:

Heather said...

Tanis he looks so great! Im sorry you guys got sick. He really is a beautiful baby boy!!

Jewel said...

What a week hey!!! It will go down in history!!! It's hard enough to adjust to a new baby with no sleep, but to have all 3 kids sick at the same time...I think you deserve some kind of an award!!! If having a 9 lbs baby didn't already make you my hero, after this past week....YOU ARE MY HERO!

shauna said...

Wonderful pictures...sorry your family has been sick. I'm glad I didn't pop over for a quick lookie-loo at Nate this weekend while I was in town. Hope everyone is healthy really soon...and it lasts all winter!

Dick Family said...

What a cutie!!! Congrats again! What a sucky week! Hopefully everything settles down for you though here pretty quick!

Leslie said...

Yuck! Good thing germs aren't transferred via internet! Hopefully everyone is better and stays that way! Nate is so cute. Congrats again!

Laura Leavitt said...

I LOVE your first picture.
He is so cute.
I am so sorry your kids are feeling sick.That is not fun. I would feel so annoyed to after all that hard work.
Sick kids is hard on a normal day...so I bet it has been a tad crazy for you.
Have some chocolate and hold your angel baby.

CHEMTD said...

That is so great Tan. He looks awesome! It's funny how things work out. We were too scared to come down and visit because we didn't want to get Nate sick, but it turns out that us not coming down probably prevented US from getting sick. We are glad that everyone is doing better now.

And yes, John is awesome.

Love ya

- C

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for having John look into the old tests, etc for Mike -- that would be such a great help!

I just realized I never commented on how much I love your 'victory' picture on this post! Exactly how I felt! Hope things are going well -- I need to get your baby gift over to you before Nathan is too much bigger! Talk to you soon!

Paula said...

Tanis - Congratulations!!!!! Reading your blog today definitely brought tears to my eyes. I'm so happy for your family welcoming that sweet (big) boy! He does not look like a newborn to me - how did you have a 9 lb baby???! Congratulations, to your whole fam!