This was one of the houses I lived in, well known at the time, and aptly named, "The Blue House."
It was a charming 7 bedroom place located one block away from UofA campus, pretty much next to the High Level bridge. With some innovation, we often managed to get up to 13 girls in at one time. Anything for cheaper rent! It is here that I created my all time favorite desert.
Ever!! (Well at least that is my opinion today)
It was born from the discovery that all I had to my name one day, was a tub of vanilla ice cream and a box of (salted) Soda Crackers.
Now please, before I share this with you, try to be open minded. It was barely a year ago that I shared this childhood favorite, and I still have not gotten over the feedback from that. To this day, I don't think any of you ever did try a "missionary sandwich." tsk tsk. I wholeheartedly request that you atleast give this one a shot. I feel both proud and a little protective of it. I'm not trying to be dramatic when I say that it is "completely magnificent in it's simplicity!"
Poor Man's Ice Cream
(by ME)
(by ME)
1 bowl of your favorite vanilla ice cream
About 8-12 SALTED soda crackers.
Crush the crackers into the ice cream and stir it up until the ice cream is a desired texture. Be careful not to crush them too much. You want to taste the cracker. Believe me, the salty crunch of the cracker compliments the ice cream perfectly.
photo taken from: http://teachgreenchemnh.wikispaces.com/
I suppose you could drizzle this with a bit of caramel sauce - but then you start messing with it, and turning it into something that it's not.
DON'T mess with it! Soda crackers and ice cream. Period.
o
What a lot of hype for something you could hardly even call a "recipe" eh?
It's worth the hype.
(Atleast that is my opinion today)
You can thank me later!!!


5 comments:
That one actually sounds okay to me...not like the first recipe you shared. (still shuddering over the thought of eating that.) I love salty & sweet so I might give this one a try. Thanks...
Yeah I admit I've never tried your missionary sandwich yet but I assure you it's not from a lack of willingness to eat one. It's just that there are several other factors that have prevented the opportunity from arising just yet.
I can definitely see myself trying the crackers in ice cream thing in the near future though.
I was one of those roommates that moved out shortly after moving in (I think I only lived there a month?) But I promise, it wasn't you - it was that nasty bathroom!!
I'll have to try it. It's sounds like one of those things where you have to taste it to believe it eh. I'm sure our girls will have fun with it. I love "simple" recipes, thanks
Tanis,
It is so crazy but just the other day Heather was telling me about this invention of yours. I think it sounds awesome and we are planning on trying it.
(I don't know about the name though. Isn't this icecream more expensive than regular icecream... because you have to buy the icecream + a package of crackers? This is more like a 'poor man's blizzard' or something isn't it?)
Thanks for the Blue House memories!
- C
ps - your last recipe was awesome too! don't get discouraged.
Post a Comment