Thursday, April 1, 2010

A couple changes around this place

Nate took a big step this week when he inhaled his first ever bowl of baby cereal.   I know I'm starting him a few weeks early, but this kid was ready for it.   I'm sure of that!  In fact when I took him for his immunizations, the health nurse took one look at him and assured me that he was ready for some food. 

The kids have all enjoyed taking turns feeding him, and he offers some of his biggest smiles in appreciation. 
 

*******

We experienced a loss in our family this week.    Abby woke up early one morning and announced to us all that our dear pet "Rainbow" had died.   
It's too soon to know, as we are awaiting toxocology results, (not really)  but we suspect it is due to some cleaner I had been spraying in the area of his bowl the day before.  When I was cleaning around the bowl, I'd wondered if any solvent had perhaps fallen into the water, but I shrugged it off because, after all, I do use environmentally friendly cleaners. 

I will use that term "friendly" more cautiously from now on. 

I think the kids handled it ok, all things considered.  Alright, honestly?  They were ecstatic! 
 I'd worried about Abby because it was technically her fish, but my anxiety about her coping with the loss of her pet, soon subsided when she came bounding up the stairs explaining, "Finally! Now we get to get a REAL pet!"    
Yup, that's how much Abby loved the thing.    I still remember the day we got it for her a whole year ago, and  how she had so lovingly carried that bulging bag of water and beta all over lethbridge and the entire way home.
 
She had loved that fish with all of her heart.  For two days.Then she was asking for a puppy.

I suppose it was John's and my mistake to use Rainbow as the reason that she couldn't have a cat or a dog. 
We were always like, "No we can't get a dog, because you have Rainbow to take care of."

Now what will we say when she comes asking for a pet?  And what could possibly replace a fish?

We arn't picky.  We will let any animal come live with us that: a) doesn't stink  b)doesn't require haircuts  
 c)doesn't bite, slither, make noise or messes of any kind. 
 Oh yeah-and it can't be boring.   (Abby's criteria, not mine)


So if you have any ideas for a great pet that matches the above - let us know. 
  In the mean time, we'll be stalling. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously love your posts. I couldn't agree more on your pet criteria! :o)

Debbi said...

hey T-
we have a pregnant cat! GREAT cat, and I'm sure it's bastard kittens will be super adorable! :) We're not sure which of the hot man-cats' children they are... she had a few boyfriends!

Anyways, in a few weeks, you'll have to come see them. Once they're born. I'll even give you first pick.

Take two and you get the third for free. (who am I kidding, take ONE and you get it for free!!! )

Terry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tanis, said...

Debbi,

A cat is out of the question. John feels very VERY strongly about that:) Good luck with getting rid of them though:)

Ben said...

Poor fishy! I had a beta named Eric that died a few years ago. I had just gone and bought him a new, REAL plant to put in his bowl and when I woke up the next morning he was deceased! So sad.

Tell Abby I understand how she feels.

Kat

Jordan and Luci said...

All the pet betas I had comitted suicide. I have since sworn off pets for me AND my children. You guys make me laugh. Oh and thanks for a great weekend!