Friday, April 23, 2010

Who's idea was that?

It is interesting to me how the more kids I have, the newer I feel at this whole parenting business.     Literally, I feel like I am regressing.    I remember thinking that "one day" I would be an AWESOME mom. 

But that was before the kids came.   

I often think of some advice I was given a few years back,  that I have really tried to take to heart.   I apply it to my marriage, even some friendships, but mostly, I implement this advice as a parent.

CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES! 

I'm sure everybody has been given the same council, and I have always considered it wise. 

Lately though, I'm wondering if I have perhaps become too accustomed with the practice of "choosing my battles."      What if this has just become my excuse or justification for poor parenting. 


Take Wednesday afternoon for example.

When I looked out the window and saw Sam and Jess playing something wreckless and dangerous on top of our vehicle I had two choices.  

a)  turn a blind eye and pray that neither of them experience any life threatening injury as a result. 

or

b)  Go out there like I wanted to, tear them off the truck, and teach them about the importance of caring for our vehicles.  Which we do.   (Just not this one.)   


I am ashamed to admit it - but negligence won.   (Hence the photo) 

But hey, I'm just chosing my battles, right?


Then there was the time this week when Jessica wanted to play with my make up, and I wouldn't let her.  Putting a make-up brush in her hands is like giving her a loaded paintbrush.  And the walls, couch and carpet become her canvas.

However, despite my NO, a few short minutes later,  I noticed that Jessica was no where in sight.   And my make up was also coveniently missing.   She was very obviously tucked in some corner of the house up to no good.   And I knew it.  Again, I had two choices.

a)  Hunt her down and make her put everything away before she made too much of a mess.

or

b)  Let her have her fun, and get a little peace to myself in the meantime. 


Again.   Just "choosing my battles,"  because I've been under the impression that that is the mark of a good parent.





It was at this moment, when I found Jessica looking like a nightmare personified,   that I wondered if my current method of parenting is really, perhaps,  not all it is cracked up to be.  




Whoever first said, "Choose your battles,"  obviously never had to look this in the eye.


And really.  I have nobody to blame for it, but myself. 


On another note.  Me and the "Nightmare" went for a drive this morning to look at the ELK.  Today the Elk seemed especially willing to have their photos taken. 


                                      








9 comments:

Lorin said...

Wow Jessica! I hope that photo makes it into her wedding video. Hilarious and truly a little scary at the same time. Kind of looks like those kids in The Grudge horror movies. Although funny enough it does make her look a lot older somehow and I'm sure it's not far off from some emo/goth look at any given high school.
That said, her cuteness is still shining through it all.

shauna said...

Jessica never fails to make me laugh...that picture is classic!

I'm right there with you on the pick your battles/negligent mom debate...but think of all the great photos we would miss if we didn't leave them to their own devices -however naughty- once in a while!

Lahni said...

I too am finding myself "choosing my battles" (aka ignoring all the bad stuff) a lot more. I just find I don't have the energy to fight all those battles! I choose to think that I'm just becoming more mellow not more negligent!

Melissa said...

LOL!!! Just think...by "choosing your battles", you are definitely getting a good little collections of good stories. AKA...bribery and black mail for when they are older. I wish I could be a little more relax and just go with it more often.

Dick Family said...

ha ha - I know!! I feel like I don't have a clue sometimes either! This was a great post because it reminded me that I am not alone in the things that I do/my kids do...hang in there, we'll get through :)

Jewel said...

Classic picture Jess!!!! Wow. You can really work the camera! I think I saw that once in a fashion magazine at the dentist office once!

Love your Waterton pics too! You always see wildlife!

Jordan and Luci said...

I'm loving the pictures of Jess and the one of all the elk kind of creeps me out. I'm pretty sure you do elk calling when nobody else is around. I've trained you well.

Russell and Johanna Anderson said...

I've got an exact picture of Paige just like that...except it continued all over her body. I just laughed when I found her and took a picture. Love those moments. If you can laught at it later....no sense loosing it eh! LOL

Paula said...

Oh Tanis, I miss your blog! I laughed so hard at this post, cause I totally understand your thoughts! I need to get back into blogging, and reading your blog! You're so inspiring and I miss your family! Keep it up. And beautiful photography, too!