Sunday, July 18, 2010

Our family just returned from a most enjoyable week with John's family down at Bear Lake.   

This year John's brother Jordan, Jordan's wife Luci, and John's sister Rachel were in charge of planning the family reunion - and they could not have chosen a more family friendly place.   

Bear Lake is located on the south-east tip of Idaho and stretches down into Utah.    We stayed in a couple of cozy cabins located high up on a hill overlooking a marina and beach below.  
Every morning we would wake up, eat, pack a bag lunch and then travel the 20 minutes to the northern tip of the lake where we enjoyed perfect sand and a lake that was warm and shallow enough for the smaller kids to wade without us feeling too concerned. 

Of course there were sand castles.   Lots of sand castles!   John's family takes their castle building very seriously.   Nothing is done small when these people are involved!   Other sand play consisted of digging sand pits, making angels in the sand, and searching for handfuls of old snail shells which the younger kids collected and treasured more than anything.



 At one point the dads brought this water balloon launcher and you can bet that kept the kids happy for a good while. 


When they tired of launching water balloons, they moved on to much more entertaining, albeit explosive, activities.    I'm not exaggerating when I say that we have never ...NEVER had a family reunion that did not involve lighting something on fire and sending it off in a multitude of directions at break neck speeds.   Of course this year it was not good enough to set off just one rocket.    Nope... at one point there were three set up at one time.
It was at this point in the reunion whern I panicked, trying to remember if John's health coverage also included travel insurance.



Some of the kids though enjoyed far less dangerous pursuits.   Sam was content to spend his days floating aimlessly on his Lightning McQueen floaty.   Even better was having his cousin Libby join in the excitement.
It made me smile often to see these two cousins reunited.   Sometimes you'd see them walking holding hands and it made me sad to think that it'd be months before we might see Libby again.



We rented a boat for a couple of days, which at first sent my blood pressure soaring as I felt certain that no good could come from this.   Jordan behind the wheel of a motorboat?  Really?  
All apologies to Jordan for ever doubting his abilities.  For two days, kids and adults alike enjoyed rides, tubing, and waterskiing.    Abigail especially enjoyed the boat.  She tubed for the first time ever and even attempted waterskiing.   Everybody reported that she was absolutely FEARLESS.  Which initially sent my blood pressure soaring again-  but after placing a call to our insurance agent in regards to our coverage  (just kidding)  I was able to relax  a little and actually feel quite proud of her.

I was once fearless too.


When the family wasn't enjoying the sun on the beach, everyone could be found back at the main cabin where Jordan, Luce and Rach had planned some fabulous evening activities.   A talent show one night, a Disney Family Dance off the next, not to mention slide shows and cozy evenings roasting giant marshmallows out on the deck.



One highlight for me was on the last beach day they rented a couple of sea-doos!   Oh my goodness those were fun, and I was hardly going fast at all!   Perhaps the thing that brought more happiness to my heart then anything was seeing my father - in - law jet ski.   He is usually the one found slaving away in the kitchen preparing the next meal before we are even finished eating the first one.    It was kinda nice to see him kick back a little.      
There are a few things about Max that I think deserve being pointed out.  

*  For the first time since meeting him almost 9 years ago, I saw him wear a pair of flip flops!
*  This is a man who truly seems most willing and content  making wonderful meals for his family.
*  He can cook a turkey dinner with out the luxury of running water!
*  His heart melts and his eyes absolutely twinkle when one of the grandkids show him some love
* So many times this week I watched as Grandpa snuck a treat to one of the grandkids just to get a smile.
* I think he secretly LOVES to jet ski!  Who knew?   And I'm not too happy to admit it - but I think He went faster then I ever did that's for sure!




Of course the week wasn't free of the odd frustration here and there.    You know the usual things that are bound to happen when you put 16 adults and the same number of kids into one space.   Noise, late nights, early mornings, missing shoes that show up in all the wrong places, and games that had to end too early because we suddenly remembered we were actually the parents and there were kids to tend to.    All in all though - the only complaint I had was that I was forced to endure the task of watching a grown man dance to "Kiss the Girl" in nothing but an adult sized diaper!    (I know that might sound bizarre - but that is only because it WAS!;)


It was such a great week for my kids.  They loved being with all of their cousins, and John and I loved spending time with these wonderful people that we don't get to see nearly often enough. 

I was so impressed with how well the kids played together, and I loved watching the parents as they all played WITH their kids.   It made me want to come home and connect more with my own children and enjoy playing again.  


This is a family that can play just as hard as they work!

Thanks Jordan, Luci and Rach for the very wonderful time!

I think Abby summed it up best when she stated (more like "screamed") while zooming across the lake in a tube at break neck speed: 

 "THIS IS THE BEST VACATION EVER!!!!!!"

(Check our other blog for more scenic pictures of the trip)

10 comments:

Jordan and Luci said...

Why do I always have to be the fat one? dah!

Good post tan. We asked Libbi what her favorite part of the reunion was and she said "Playing with Jessica." We've asked her several times since and it's always the same. We miss you guys already.

Brianna said...

First of Luce you are NOT the fat one! AHH I love everything about this! I love Max and seeing pics of him riding the jet ski, he is so tender! I also love the sea of blonde children! Miss your fam! Love you all!

Jacky said...

That looks like a great reunion! Strangely enough, we're headed to Bear Lake in two weeks for OUR family reunion! We've rented a big house up on the hill and will be making the daily trek down to the beach and are renting sea-doos and all that jazz. It's a great place, isn't it?

Gayla Woolf Holt said...

So Tanis how does one get adopted into this fun loving and hard working family? LOL What a great holiday and a terrific place to have the reunion. Sounds like it could be a tradition to meet there. Glad you are home safe and sound too, so good to see you all at church today.

Gayla Woolf Holt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jewel said...

Great post Tan. That cabin is HUGE. I loved all your pictures! What a fun time!

shauna said...

I'm with Gayla! We need to be adopted Hardys. Your reunion looks like a blast!

David and Sarah said...

We are missing you already!!! I loved all of your comments about Max...I just want to know why he never snuck a treat to me!

Lorin said...

Well Tanis, I just happen to know that a few years ago Max rode over Logan Pass on a 1000cc Kawasaki Ninja. (That's a big BAD motorcycle.) I know he did because I was trying to keep up to him on my slightly less bad Yamaha. So, a little SeaDoo action would have been the proverbial piece of cake for him I'm sure.

Great family photo by the way!

Kendra said...

I am so jealous of this!! I love family reunions and wish I would have been there! ;) I miss the Hardy family SO much!!! Bear Lake is beautiful and props to Jord, Luc, and Rach on planning such a great reunion! LOVE!