Monday, August 9, 2010

How my Boys Inspire Me

This past week Nate has seemed to grow right through the baby phase and straight into Toddler Stage!  He babbles non stop, shakes his head at everything, and seems to get a kick out of seeing me hurt myself in some clumsy way.   I don't know-  sounds like a toddler to me.     At one point I was working in the kitchen and turned around to see Nate, just standing there smiling at me!

He was proud of himself for sure - and now continues to stand any chance he gets.  

And to prove he's becoming a big boy - his beautiful happy smile is now sporting TWO handsome little teeth!

Nate has been such a fun baby to have in our home, and toddler or not he is a good natured little kid.    Without a doubt, the thing people say most about him  is that he is such a HAPPY soul.   He really is smiling most of the time.  (As in,  pretty much always.)

 Nate INSPIRES me to SMILE more - even when I don't feel like it.

----------------------


Yesterday morning,  I was giving Sam the usual before church lecture, which basically consists of me trying to warn/bribe him to behave well during the next three hours of meetings.    The conversation went something like this:

Me:  So Sam - Is it ok to talk when your teacher is talking?
Sam:  Yeaaahhummmmaahhhh...NO!
Me:   Good.   Is it ok to be rude to your teacher or anyone at all?
Sam:  Yeahhhummmmm.....NO!
Me:  Good.   Is it ok to call the other kids names?
Sam (in an exasperated tone as he rolls his eyes at me):   I know.  I know.   No calling them "stupid head" or "Dumb Rat!"

Sam inspires me to laugh a little bit more and to set a better example and speak with kindness.
   (Though he didn't learn those words from me - I assure you!)
----------------


This past week has one spent close to home.    I've been nursing a sprained ankle ever since our wicked awesome day hiking crypt a few weeks back.   We've attempted a few smaller hikes since crypt and I've managed to limp my way through them, but that all came to a crashing halt on Monday when my foot had swelled up to an alarming size.   My darn ankle finally got the best of me and the doctor ordered a "splint, crutches and some forced R&R, and for goodness sakes NO more HIKING!" 

Blah.  Whatever.

This sprain came on the heels (pun intended) of John beginning the BIGGEST fencing job that he has ever undertaken on his own, which has meant a lot of long days for him.   Perhaps the most grueling part of this contract has been the week long task of removing the old fences, posts, and cement from the ground and prepping the soil for the new work.   Even though he actually hired out extra help at times for this job, he has still walked in the door, sometimes close to dark - dirty, tired and so so sore.  

We were surely a sight for sore eyes each night as we would slowly crawl into bed, both tired, both stiff, both nursing our own individual aches.   John would lay there with a piping hot towel to soothe his muscles and I with an ice pack strapped on to my new found CANKLE - and we would just laugh at how pathetic of a pair we were.   Or at least how pathetic I was.    Because, despite all of John's discomfort and HIS long days of work - HE hasn't complained ONCE!

  I don't think John even knows how to complain.   

John definitely inspires me to complain less and enjoy my own work a little bit more. 


What an inspiring bunch of boys eh!

3 comments:

Heather said...

holy cow he stands already?!! how fun for you :)

Jordan and Luci said...

Uh yes, you do have inspiring boys. Nate and Sam make me happy! I love the pic of Nate standing there. He does look way too toddler for my comfort.

I hope you're feeling better. Geesh! I want to see the fence John built too. We miss you guys. In fact, Libbi was trying to buy sticker books for your kids. I should have let her and then we could have mailed them. Yesterday I had to be Tanis babysitting them. Hmm, that must have happened way too often in the past.

Jewel said...

Ahh...that was a super sweet post Tan.

"Dumb Rat"...where does he come up with these?! I love it though. Never heard it before... but I somehow love it!