For the most part.
Then there was the time, almost exactly a year ago, when the cutest sweetest most adorable chocolate lab appeared on our doorstep. We had just barely moved in to our "new" home and this little guy showed up and much to the kids and my delight, spent the day sleeping on our front steps.
I took it as a sign that we were supposed to be one happy family. Him (the dog that is) and us. I began a concentrated effort to convince that sweet little thing to stay -which involved sneaking him all of the scraps of meat that I possibly could. Oh yes I did! Until at least....John caught me with a slab of deli ham dangling from my trembling hands. For the record, that is probably the only time I have EVER seen John get mad at me. Not even when I recently crashed our van into our own truck did he get upset. But feed a poor, homeless, stray dog and LOOK OUT!Fast forward to last night. As I was putting the kids to bed, I told them about the time when I was little and my Dad creatively put a real live floppy eared dwarf bunny inside my sister Crystal's stocking one year. It was awesome, and I laughed as I tried to convey it to my own little ones. Suddenly...I had an idea! A brilliant, wonderful, awesome idea! What if I got the kids a puppy and presented it in the same way on Christmas Day!
Oh the kids would love it!
So..I tenderly...very cautiously...went into the kitchen where John was playing with his remote control flying simulation game. (Note: I was very careful to be sure I did not complain about that stupid game like I usually would. Not this time) Instead, I rubbed his back for a minute. Then, when I thought it was safe to proceed, I looked up into his adorable and handsome face that I love so much and began to ask the question. It went something like this:
"Ahem. Hey hun? Um...like, what would you say if I maybe got the kids a puppy for Christmas?"
That's when the vein started popping out of his neck. THE vein. His jaw became very set. His hands gripped the remote control he was holding more tightly. He turned to look at me, and that was when I knew. We wouldn't be getting a puppy for Christmas.
Perhaps, he would have gone for the bunny idea?

2 comments:
haha! I hear ya Tanis, Dan is the same way...we will NEVER have a pet...never!
This might be one of those "better to ask forgiveness than ask permission" situations. Mind you, I'm not sure, when there's a popping vein involved, that it would be a good idea afterall. You could always get a robot dog... :)
Post a Comment