Here are the highlights (if you can call them that) of our week!
1. Nate gets put in his place:
1. Nate gets put in his place:
Nate has been 18 months for a few weeks now, but today was the first day that he stayed by himself in Nursery. (well...he stayed there for a good hour at least, it was pretty much downhill after that) At one point, when I went to check on him he was happily gazing out the window towards the temple while the other kids played with toys around him. I don't know if he did much else-because when I peeked through the window awhile later, he was still in the same spot! He wasn't crying or anything- he just looked a bit confused. I think he is a bit overwhelmed with this whole nursery thing. He's not used to being around so many little kids his age. But he's got great Nursery leaders and I'm sure he'll settle in quickly. Besides, after literally chasing him around Relief Society every week for the past 4 months I hardly feel bad for him. Oh no I don't!
2. I finally do what most parents have been doing all along:
I realize most well behaved and properly raised children have been doing chores ever since they can remember - but my kids are a little bit late to join that club. (Mostly because it is way easier for me to clean up then to deal with the drama that comes with making them do it) However, I reached my limit this week and came down hard. Before the kids even knew what was happening they all had specific cleaning assignments. And not even fun cleaning assignments but the worst ones I could think up. Things I'm not even willing to do- like wiping down every single chair and stool.
I have to admit- it felt good to crack the whip a little and exercise a little parental authority.
I like to think that perhaps I've just saved them from a future life of lazy and riotous living.
3: John attempts to teach Jessica/ME all about Repentance:
Jessica spent most of last weekend picking dandelions off of all the neighbors lawns in an effort to give me the prettiest bouquet for Mother's Day. Of course I showered her with praise because really, is there anything better then a wilted bouquet of dandelions from your neighbor's yard?
Actually, Yes there is.
A bouquet of Hyacinths from your neighbor's yard is nice to!
It didn't take long to figure out which neighbor Jess was stealing these flowers from, and when we did- John made me take Jessica over to their place so that she could apologize. He thought it would be a valuable lesson on repentance for her to speak with our neighbor personally about what she'd done. The only problem is that Jessica was too shy to say anything, so I ended up apologizing for the flowers that I didn't even pick!!!
Thanks for the wonderful teaching moment there John. I really learned a lot!
4. I missed the fashion event of the year:
Apparently I missed the 2011 American Girl Photo Shoot. Nobody even told me about it. Luckily somebody (somebody sneaky and obviously tall) was able to get their hands on my "off limits" camera and document the event.
4. Sam astonished us with how well he really knows me:
Is there anything better then reading the response your kids give to questions about yourself? I thought it was cute that Sam thinks I'm only 15! And John laughed out loud when he read that I "wasn't afraid of anything." My favorite part of this card though is where Sam told his teacher that my favorite thing to do was "go to Church every Sunday." Obviously I've given the kid lots of Sunday morning pep talks:
"Oh Sam you will have SOO much fun at church today!"
or
"What are you talking about 'you don't want to go'. Church is SOOO awesome!!"
or
"Home drools- Church Rules!!!"
...etc
5. The Garden is IN!
The power went out (again) on Friday which left me feeling completely useless. I ironically and shamefully "powered down" as well into a useless blob of a Mother who wondered how anyone could possibly function without electricity. I just walked with Nate around the cul de sac - bored and unsure of what to do.
Luckily John and his Dad were much more productive. Max came over and tilled our garden and then helped us plant all of the vegetables. And when I say we that does actually include me because once the power came back on hours later I did perk up and plant some onions and strawberries.
I know. Big Whoopdi doo.
It's nice to have everything planted though and I'm looking forward to all that we've got growing back there. Along our north fence we have some space designated for some wicked cool Haskap Berry Bushes which we are really excited about. Along our west fence we have: Raspberries as well as Elderberry and Saskatoon Bushes. Then in our garden we planted: Corn, potatoes, onions, chard, beats, carrots, and peas with beans, squash and tomatoes still to come.
That's a lot planted, and I hope that I don't run out of steam come harvest time.
So long as the power doesn't go out - I think I should be ok;)
That's it from our happy little home. Of course, we did enjoy the usual weekly activities - soccer, baseball and MORE fishing. We're looking forward to the summer when things slow down a bit, because as you can tell- it's just way too busy around here;))
Have a Great Week!!!!



4 comments:
Those are some fantastic highlights. I'm jealous about getting the garden in. I still need to plan mine out for this year. I suppose that's what happens when you end up taking a 10 week break from every day life though.
We're in town this weekend. Are you guys around?
That's awesome. I wish we would be there for the harvest. It's my favorite. Oh and I loved Sam's paper about you...made me laugh.
Wow! Look at you go! You've had an awesome week! Your garden is massive! AWESOME!
Good times!!! I think my favorite was Jess' thoughtful flowers--totally better than dandelions--jackpot!
Post a Comment