Sunday, February 26, 2012

Give Lavishly. Live Abundantly.

It's been quite a week around here, though not necessarily one of my most favorites;)   In fact, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being good and 10 being stupid and dumb)  I'd say this entire week ranks about an 8.    It fits comfortably right smack dab between childbirth and giving a talk in church;)!    Luckily, tomorrow is Monday, which means that very soon I will get caught up again in the day to day "busy"ness, and the events of this past week will fade away, becoming nothing more then a very distant memory.    I can't wait for that;)    

A few things worth remembering though:

*  The kiddos spent the past four days at my sister Crystal's house, and had a blast!  Crystal's charming little country home near Rolling Hills has become their favorite place to be.   Aunty Crystal's house is full of crafts, cousins, rock piles, owls (and other country creatures), and best of all ....PIZZA BOMBS!!!    Sam and Abby both agreed today that Uncle Jeremy and Aunt Crystal are practically like "back ups to Santa Claus."  I wish I had some pictures to share.  

*  The kids came home yesterday and our house was instantly filled with loud noise, occasional laughter and toys scattered everywhere.   And this morning I woke up to the sound of Nathan BAWLING because he could only have two light sabers instead of all three.   Shortly after breakfast, Sam donned a large dark blanket and pretended to be the "Sith Lord" until about five minutes before he needed to leave for church.  And Abby sat and ate an entire plate of black beans tonight just to delay her piano practicing.     It's like they were never even gone.  And I love it.

*  We watched the movie 17 Miracles this morning, and found it to be an incredibly moving depiction of the hard things the early latter day saints endured as they made their way towards Salt Lake.   It was especially neat to watch the stories of the Loader family develop throughout this film.   James Loader was John's third great Grandfather, and the story is one that was very familiar to John.  I was amazed at the fortitude and strength that one single person is capable of possessing in this life.   It makes me wonder how far beneath my own capabilities I may be living.  

*  There was a point this week as John and I were walking the halls of a Calgary hospital (because that seems to be our idea of a romantic getaway sans children)  when we noticed a poem that had been quickly written down on a scrap piece of looseleaf and then hung on a random bulletin board.    It contained the most beautiful words about giving lavishly, and living abundantly.    I remember casually commenting to John that I'd love to get a copy of it, but didn't talk about it again.    Well, earlier today as I was sorting through our luggage from the week, I came across a folded up piece of paper containing John's hand written version of those very words.    At some point, without telling me, he'd gone and copied it all down!
    
That Guy.   He's pretty cool;)
And I've got precious little to complain about.

4 comments:

Jordan and Luci said...

Why don't you tell people what's going on ever? I always find out after the fact. We might not be God's favorite, but we pray anyways. I hope you're feeling ok.

shauna said...

I love that poem but what I love even more is that John went and secretly copied it for you. What a loving gesture. Have I told you yet this year that you and John are two of our favourite people in the world? We want to be like you guys when we grow up.

Jewell said...

Hang in there Tan!!!! Great poem....and sweet photo you took! (Now's when you get to be like a turtle.... slow...yet steady!)

One of these days you'll get to enjoy a holiday from the kids which WON"T involve pain on your part!!! In fact, I'll watch the kids FOR you guys!!!! (Cause no one's ever called ME a backup to Santa!!!!!) Wow. That's pretty huge! Well done Crystal!

Dick Family said...

YIKES, I hope all is going to be okay! Thank goodness for those tender mercies and realizations that the Lord is all knowing!