Thursday, February 21, 2013

Some come to win. Others come for the food.

Abby and Sam have been in Champs for the past couple of months, and they LOVE it!    
Every Saturday morning we all go watch them as they practice drills and skills for a half hour, and then play a game.  It's great exercise for them in these winter months, and I'm hoping that it will also instill in them a love for the sport that I never did seem to acquire myself.

 

Abby has improved lots, though she sometimes takes it a little too seriously.  Last week, she really took the whole "defence" thing to heart, and she guarded her player unmercifully.    The poor girl could hardly make a move without Abby being in her face.   She looked so frustrated with Abby, and kept pushing Abby's arms outta her way, I half expected a fight to ensue!  
 (Perhaps we need to tell Abby that she can ease off at times? haha)   



Her shooting has improved, and clearly her defence is top notch;)!   I just keep hoping that she'll eventually recognize what an asset her height is for her.   


As for Sam?

Well, Sam is interesting when it comes to sports.   He has the energy to play, there is no question about that!   He just lacks competitive drive, you know?    During Soccer season, Sam's main motivation to play is for the slurpee he gets after the last game of the season.  During basketball?  You can attribute his enthusiasm to attend to the fact that the coaches hand out doughnuts on the last day.

All the weeks in between, he sorta just goes along with it all and puts in a good effort.    
  He really is enjoying it all, it's just that improving his skills or excelling in a sport never seems to be the motivating factors for this guy.    It's all about the treats he gets at the end - 100%!


This became so apparent to us this past week, when one of his coaches approached him in the hall after his game.    Sam looked right at him, stuck his finger up in the air and informatively declared before walking away: 
"The only reason why I'm here..... is for....the DOUGHNUT!!!"

Sigh...So he'll never be a Michel Jordan.    
I've got him pegged as more of the stand up comedian type anyway;)

No comments: