Well, it's official. Christmas is upon us, and we couldn't be more excited! ...or busy;)
The past few days have been filled with the usual hustle and bustle that is always the 1st week of December. (I swear, in an effort to clear up "December" everybody EVERYWHERE decides to hold EVERY function within the first week;) It has pretty much felt like a 7 day long party around here.
The party started on Monday morning when we woke up to a foot of snow and frigid temperatures, ...and an announcement from the school division that school would be cancelled! (Woohooo!!)
Then that turned into a snow day on Tuesday as well, which seemed nice at first, but the novelty wore off by mid day. Wednesday however, it was back to school, despite the fact that temperatures were hovering around -40, and have continued to stay that way. It has been c-c-c- cold!!!! At times I have questioned my sanity in sending my kids to school when it is so freezing outside - but alas- 2 snow days in a row was frankly quite enough! By Wednesday I was ready to send them to the North Pole if that's what it would take to get some peace and quiet!!!
Thursday was our Ward Adult Christmas Party, and the responsibility for the evening had fallen on the Relief Society Presidency. I think it is safe to say that well before that date even arrived we had all grown tired of planning and discussing, and preparing for it. In the end though... it was what it was;)! haha.
Actually, it was kind of cool to help prepare the meal. I learned a tonne of cool tips that I hope to remember, and hey - nobody got food poisoning, so... SUCCESS!!! That may have been largely due to the fact that I pretty much asked my father in law to take over the preparation of 9 hams at the very last minute!! (Some people might call that "backing out of my duties" - I call it "making a wise executive decision.";)

Oh yeah, and part of the evening included an "Ugly Sweater" competition.
Little did I know this would involve a humiliating walk of shame in front of everybody, and prizes to whoever received the loudest clap. Had I known that was going to happen I would have stuck to something a little less dorky;) The whole thing reminded me of the time my sister in law Rachel decided to throw an Ugly Sweater Party, and I was the only one who showed up wearing one!
(These two parties had a lot in common in that regard. haha;)
(These two parties had a lot in common in that regard. haha;)
On Friday afternoon, my tough and rugged husband (who, as you can observe from the picture above, rocks a turtleneck like nobodies business!) braved the arctic cold and drove out to the community pasture with Kendall and Ava to get us our Christmas tree. Usually, John and I make this a big family event- but the weather just wasn't going to cooperate. The three of them came back pretty stiff and frozen, but on the bright side...the tree does look good, so thanks to them;)!
The kids have been entertained this week by the daily antics of our silly visiting Elf!
So far she has managed to toilet paper our tree, get captured by Sam's lego warriors, and accidentally photo copy herself, catch the flu and more!

Abby likes to stay up late with me and plot all the places we could place this little elf.
Somehow though, come morning- she manages to still seem completely and genuinely surprised!
On top of ALL that- the flu has run it's course around here, leaving only two of us untouched.
I've personally been trying my best to catch it and just get it out of the way. There is nothing worse then feeling like a sitting duck, not to mention the fact that after Monday, I just really don't have time for it!
Apparently, the only time busier then the first week of December.....is the SECOND week of December!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment