Sunday, February 2, 2014

Ski Day!!

The kids didn't have school this past Wednesday, and John was accompanying several High School students on a ski trip.   We decided to take advantage of the opportunity and get the kids out there too so that John could teach them how to ski.    

It's sad to admit, but up until now, our kids had never downhill skied before, and given the gong show that was last months X Country ski event - I did not have high hopes they'd like it at all.   So I took a couple of precautions: 

First, I spent several days prepping and warning the kids that downhill skiing was hard.  Really hard. In fact, they probably wouldn't like it very much at first.;)   
Second,   I pawned our youngest boy off on my sister for the day.   (Ever tried to keep a four year old happy in a ski lodge for 8 hours?   Me neither, and I didn't want to!)    Besides, it's not like my sister had anything going on, what with her newly broken ankle and all!!! 
Note:  THIS is why you don't play basketball when you are old...ish;)

Yes, that's right.   I left my four year old behind to be babysat by my poor decrepit sister.   
What's the big deal?


Ahem.  Meanwhile, back at the hill....

we were quickly able to find John and within minutes the kids were all suited up and raring to go!   
I adore the confidence that they all had.    Jessica was initially determined to stay back with me, but as soon as she took a look around and got a sense of the excitement- there was no turning back.


I was impressed at how quickly they got the hang of it.    John said it took two maybe three runs before they each were completely hooked and loving it.   (See it does help to prepare them for the worst sometimes;)     How the chair lift didn't freak them out, I'll never know.  


Just watching them on the chair lift made me nauseous.  Yikes, there they go!!!
(I'm the one behind the camera, praying that the cable holds;)


Just a couple of minutes later, I'd watch as four of my favourite people would come zooming towards me.   Jessica was almost always leading the way.

John said Jess had some serious speed, and occasionally he'd have to kick into his fastest mode just to catch up to her!  She's crazy.



Sam was slightly more cautious, but mastered his stopping technique in no time!   


Without fail, Abby always came soaring past me striking some sort of celebratory pose, or proclaiming how much "she rocked!"    Like I said- I adore their confidence!  ;)



They all had so much fun it was virtually impossible to tear them off the hill.   It wasn't until the ski lift attendant shut things down (and not a moment sooner) that the kids sadly relented and headed to the van.   Tired, but so so happy.

During the hour and a half long drive home the kids shared stories of the day and compared highlights.    At one point Sam thoughtfully said, "Mom?  I don't know what it is, but I just kinda...I don't know...feel taller now."  haha.    He was one proud little man, and yes, he seemed a bit taller to me too.


 And how did I spend my day, you ask?

Sigh....it was pretty dreamy;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did your sister do that!!!!????

Jordan and Luci said...

OH that is so awesome Tanis!! I love it...we've been wanting to take our kids too and when I say we I mean Jordan. And poor Jewel! That is insane!

Tanis, said...

She broke it playing basketball! :(