Six months ago, John and I put our house up for sale.
A couple of weeks after that, at an evening Relief Society meeting, a member of our ward threw out the suggestion that we should sell our house and just buy hers, as her and her husband were getting ready to serve a mission. (I think she was joking, but I kinda latched on to the idea and somehow within a couple of days that morphed into a house sitting arrangement. It seemed like the perfect idea!)
So, for the past few months we have planned to do just that. The Ridley's prepared for their mission, and John and I continued preparations to sell our house. Only problem is - it wasn't selling.
That might have something to do with the fact that NOTHING is selling in this town!
I tried not to worry about that small logistic too much in the weeks that followed, and I especially tried not to worry when Danny and Kay got their call and an official date was set. As their reporting date approached though, reality began to set in and the prospect of being responsible for our home and their home began to overwhelm me.
We began to pursue the option of renting out our house and coming back to it in a year, but there were a few problems with that. 1. The renting pool in town is pretty shallow 2. John and I would not make good Landlords 3. A year from now we'd still be faced with the same necessary renos that made us want to list the house in the first place.
What to do...what to do?
Luckily...just 10 days before the Ridley's were scheduled to leave, we received not one, but two unofficial offers on our home. It felt like a miracle! Proverbial Manna from Heaven! Literally, an answer to prayer!
So here is where things currently sit:
Five days ago, (the same day the Ridleys left for their mission) the papers were signed and an awesome young family from Edmonton will be moving in to our home. I think that is the part that makes me most sad. I realized this weekend that we are moving away from some of the most stellar and special people that I have known all these past 5 years! I know we are still in the same ward and all, but what if our friendships change now? And even worse- what if they end up liking this new family MORE?!! The jealousy would seriously get to me! haha
John on the other hand, has no regrets. Not because he didn't love where we lived, but because he refuses to live "looking back." Steady John is always hopelessly optimistic that we are exactly where we need to be and I love him for it!
This past Friday and Saturday we got rid of 1/3 of the junk we've accumulated and moved the rest of our stuff over to the house that will be our home for the next 12 months or so. We look forward to taking care of it, and loving it as though it was ours.
We began to pursue the option of renting out our house and coming back to it in a year, but there were a few problems with that. 1. The renting pool in town is pretty shallow 2. John and I would not make good Landlords 3. A year from now we'd still be faced with the same necessary renos that made us want to list the house in the first place.
What to do...what to do?
Luckily...just 10 days before the Ridley's were scheduled to leave, we received not one, but two unofficial offers on our home. It felt like a miracle! Proverbial Manna from Heaven! Literally, an answer to prayer!
So here is where things currently sit:
Five days ago, (the same day the Ridleys left for their mission) the papers were signed and an awesome young family from Edmonton will be moving in to our home. I think that is the part that makes me most sad. I realized this weekend that we are moving away from some of the most stellar and special people that I have known all these past 5 years! I know we are still in the same ward and all, but what if our friendships change now? And even worse- what if they end up liking this new family MORE?!! The jealousy would seriously get to me! haha
John on the other hand, has no regrets. Not because he didn't love where we lived, but because he refuses to live "looking back." Steady John is always hopelessly optimistic that we are exactly where we need to be and I love him for it!
This past Friday and Saturday we got rid of 1/3 of the junk we've accumulated and moved the rest of our stuff over to the house that will be our home for the next 12 months or so. We look forward to taking care of it, and loving it as though it was ours.

Here's hoping for an uneventful and blessed experience house sitting!!
Let the adventure begin....
2 comments:
You guys are so great and everything will work out just fine in the end. Of that I am SURE!!!! Meanwhile, enjoy that new house that you will call your home for the next little bit…..
And no doubt your old cul de sac will miss YOU guys too!! I wish you'd be MY neighbour!
Tan I love it! And I love the pic of Betsy's boys above the fire place! The house looks awesome. Can hardly wait to come visit!!
Post a Comment