Sunday, April 6, 2014

April Fools pranks that may or may not have happened, and other highlights of the week!

The kids (okay and I as well;) spent the better part of last week plotting and scheming all the April Fools jokes we planned to pull off ... just as soon as April 1st rolled around.    Sadly, most of our jokes were focused on the new family that bought our house, because their possession date conveniently happened to fall on April 1st!!    I mean, what an opportunity right?   
I initially thought it'd be funny if I called them that morning to explain that we'd been having second thoughts and that we really needed to pull out of the deal.   Given my back and forth hesitancy already displayed, they'd surely believe me, which would only make it that much funnier!

John didn't think so.

Then Abby suggested that we take a lesson from her favourite episode of AFV and stretch saran wrap over every doorway of the house.   How funny would that be as the movers showed up to unload?  

Again, John didn't think so.

Sam then, sticking with the spirit of saran wrap,  suggested that we cover every toilet seat with the plastic.   I had to remind him that these were nice people moving in.  Besides, we were going for "funny" not "mean."   Duh.

In the end, we just turned our house over to the new family without pulling off any pranks at all.     Well...unless you count that time on April 2nd when I dropped the kids off at school and headed home quickly so I could get the garbage to the curb in time for garbage pickup.   I pulled up, entered the code on the keypad, and watched as the garage door roll up.  It wasn't until I noticed that the garage was now full of OTHER PEOPLES belongings that I realized my mistake.   The new owners had officially arrived, and this.was.not.my.home.anymore!!   I closed the garage door and ran drove away as fast as I could.   A little awkward perhaps?  
Maybe I could pass that off as a belated April Fools joke?  haha.    
My heart felt a little heavy that 1st day of April, I'll admit.  I suddenly missed ALL my neighbours all at once, and worried that perhaps we should not have sold it.  Thankfully, shortly after getting back to our "in limbo home,"  one of my new neighbours showed up with a plate of chocolate brownies and I instantly felt much better. ;)

   
Back to the whole "April Fools" thing.  Despite the fact that John thwarted all our plans for pranking, Abby and Jess secretly planned to pull off a few pranks just the same.    Unbeknownst to us, they set their alarm for 5:00 am and covered their sleeping brothers with yarn and confetti before taking pictures.    Then they pulled the ultimate "no no" and hid an alarm clock right by my head!   (They really went for the jugular there, because everybody knows I hate getting woken up during the night.)    
Those little turkeys.   I didn't know whether to be mad or proud of them!!!



 We felt particularly lucky this week because it only snowed once or twice and we are definitely taking this as a sign that spring is here.  (Yay!!!)    In fact, this weekend the temperature must have reached a balmy (albeit breezy) 10 degrees!    haha.    The kids were overjoyed and made us eat lunch on the patio so that they could enjoy the sun.    Granted, most of them still needed their winter coats- but hey- we'll take whatever sun we can get!!


Our ward had a fundraiser dinner on Tuesday, which included an auction.   They had a real auctioneer come this year to help auction off each dessert and it was super fun to listen and watch him do his thing.    This was the dessert I donated to the cause.    It was a "coconut creme de lech cake with a butterscotch layer."  

 And...it was gross.

I actually didn't know that it would be gross.  In my defence, it looked good and the recipe seemed so promising.   When I got home that night though I tasted one of the samples I'd  left behind in my fridge, and it was bad.   Like- "Bleck...ugh...gag me with a fork" bad!     I pity the poor soul that threw down a small fortune for this thing, though I do take a little comfort in the fact that they did got a handful of delightful mini eggs out of it.  (Next year I'll be sure to stick to something more familiar;)   


This last photo- I love.  
It captures our morning family scripture study perfectly!
Every morning the most stunning sunlight pours through the living room and kitchen windows.
Every morning 3 out of 4 kids are holding their scriptures while laying down.  (They swear they read better that way;)
And every morning Nate builds a giant armchair out of pillows to use as his perch.   


Every morning also consists of frantically made lunches, crying kids who don't want their hair done, the disorganized loading backpacks, and shouts at the kids to "sit UP to read their scriptures for goodness sake!"   Still,  I like the way none of that is shown in this one split second shot.  

  Can we all just pretend this is how mornings always look around here? 

PS:  What a beautiful weekend of Conference Talks!!   President Uchtdorf, Elder Bednar, and Sister Jean Stevens shared some of my favourite messages this year.  Can't wait to go back and read them!!!

No comments: