Friday, July 25, 2014

Blurry Recap

We arrived home from our week long family reunion a little under a week ago, and I am just now trying to recap some of the fun that was had.    (I was too tired then.   Sadly, I'm still too tired, but I realize that if I don't record some of the highlights - this old brain of mine might forget them altogether!!! ;)

The drive down was a beautiful one as we chose to go down through Glacier!   There was still a tonne of snow up at the top of the pass and the waterfalls were all flowing fiercely which made for a spectacular ride.   (It's on my list of "summer must do's" to drive that road again this next month and snap some photos)   It was beautiful!!!

My main worry that Sunday was that nobody would be happy with the accommodations as that was one of John's and my responsibilities.    I'd spent weeks agonizing over all of the things that could have gone wrong, because clearly, it helps so much to worry about things preemptively;)   

In the end, the accommodations were great!  The cabin easily accommodated all 40 of our sleepers, and each family had their own room, which gave us reason to celebrate for sure!

Monday was spent at the cabin taking family photos and enjoying the traditional carnival.  (Each family is in charge of a game/activity and some families really outdid themselves this year around!)   The kids always look forward to this event, which can't really be said for the "family photo event."  (Monday is always a love/hate kinda day;)      

We did enjoy a day at Big Sky Water slides as well, but I intentionally left my camera behind.  It was a cool morning water sliding, but warmed up nicely in the afternoon.    It's definitely no Seven Peaks or anything, but I think the cousins enthused each other and had a fun time!


Glacier consumed one of our days, and it started with lunch along the shore by Hotel McDonald.  

 I LOVED hiking to Avalanche Lake.   I found three flowers I'd not before seen - Queens Cup and Solomon's Seal and Alpine Forget me nots.  Beautiful!!!
This was definitely Nate's longest hike ever and I was proud of him for accomplishing it.   He had to be carried for about 10 minutes on the ascent, and then pretty much the whole way down - BUT he didn't whine!!  So...that's a win;)


Avalanche Lake is a gorgeous lake and I think John fell in love with it the moment he discovered the fish were biting!

This reunion also marked a new event that was a hit with the kids.   A family Auction!!  
Each family brought toys, treats and all sorts of fun things to donate and then each family was given points to to use when bidding on items they'd like.  



The kids all enjoyed this and there were relatively few tears, excluding Nate's;)  He suffered some major anxiety as he watched the coveted light sabre which he worried would go to someone else.  He was over the moon delighted when his bid for it won, and it was all fun and games for him after that!

                                                Nate wasn't the only happy camper that night;)



Another day was spent on Flathead Lake enjoying Seadoos, and a pontoon.   
Abby and John could have spent their entire time on the boats - in fact, I think John did!!!

On Friday the whole family participated in a silly sock run.  The kids had spent time decorating socks in all sorts of crazy ways and then on Friday they ran a fun, lighthearted run.    It was cute watching every family member cross the finish line.   



My favourite event of our reunions are always the Girls Night Out.  Over the years, it has turned into a "Favorite Things Party" and we LOVE it!  I feel like I have been blessed with amazing sisters and sisters in law, (on both sides) and this evening is a fun chance to celebrate with some of them.   



John and Sam went white water rafting with some of the others.   Abby wanted badly to go too, but she'd gotten a bit sick that day with some bug that was going around.   Poor thing:(   
I think John would have loved more rapids but Sam thought it was wicked cool!!!



Those were some of the highlights of the week.    
John has a remarkable family who know how to party in a big way.  
I'll admit, I was a wee bit exhausted, but as we drove home at the end of the week (with many of his family joining us) I felt grateful for the time we got to spend there with all of them.   


Here's to the Cougar Trail Ranch.  Thanks for another great family reunion!!!

No comments: