We've been frantically trying to pull things together lately in preparation for a VERY busy July.
From here on out our days are filled back to back with reunions. And reunions. And reunions!
On Wednesday evening, the very second John walked in the door (he's been building fences and is gone always;) we high tailed it out to Waterton. It was a totally impromptu decision, but it was born of this intense need I had to get out of town and relax. (It was pretty much bite one more person's head off - or chill. And waterton is the perfect place to do just that. ...Chill.)

The kids only agreed to the drive, so long as they could play at the watermark. I lost a lot of money this night because I promised the kids that whoever would stand under the pail of water and get soaked would get paid. (Darn kids always hold me to it too!;) It was pretty breezy out while they played, so I guess they deserved every penny.
The highlight of the night was taking the kids to Wieners of Waterton for dinner. Thanks to a gift card I'd gotten for my birthday we really splurged and the kids got whatever they wanted.
(PS: If you've never tried their fried pickles before, I don't know what you're waiting for!)
After dinner, the kids talked us into trying out the newest ice cream shop (frozen yogurt really) called Mountain Top Frozen Yogurt Shop. It's delicious, and the kids were shocked that we were actually spending money on restaurant food, because we NEVER let them talk us into eating out. haha. That's what happens when Mom relaxes, you know?

After that, we walked down to Emerald Bay and watched as the kids swam in the water and fished. For Christmas, every kid got their very own fishing rod, so this was super fun for us to see them all learning and loving it!!

It was a perfect evening!!
...So perfect in fact that on Friday night, despite the mountain of work, cleaning, packing and preparing that we had to do, we ditched it all and made for the mountains one last time. The whole way up to Cameron lake, I seriously questioned our sanity as I knew we did NOT have time for this.
But- once there, what was there to do but relax and enjoy it! ;)

A lovely woman in my ward who I've been serving with in Relief Society made us a Banana Creme Pie earlier in the day. Our favourite way to eat in Waterton (minus eating out of course;) I carefully packed it in a cooler and hauled it up for dessert.
"Banana Creme Pie on the dock of Cameron lake, watching the sun go down and listening to the sound of loons float across the water."
Yup, you can be jealous if you want. In fact, you really should be, it was absolutely dreamy;)

The rest of the evening was spent fishing with the kids (in the boat and from a dock) and entertaining Nate by taking silly photos together.
Both Abby and Jess caught fish that night. Abby brought hers home to eat some time soon, but I couldn't quite get the hook out of Jessica's fishes mouth and I was feeling kinda sad for the poor thing dying in my hands - so I threw it back. When John found that out he totally got mad at me and said something about how it was just going to die in the lake, why would I throw it (and our fly) into the water - but you know what, I just couldn't watch the thing struggle anymore.
John knows better than to tease about it now, but Jess has not stopped telling me that I owe her a fly!

We really really REALLY needed these two nights.
We're back home now, and "busy" is in full force, but even looking at these pictures gives me a quieter more peaceful feeling.
I'm looking forward to going back!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment