A couple of years ago John and I made an impulsive decision, gave into the persistent pleading of our children and got a couple of fish for them as pets. Sam wisely named his fish Poseidon, but sold him a year later in an effort to make a fast $10. Jessica named her fish "Hot Stuff" and never really gave him much thought after that. (Clearly my kids grow deep attachments to their pets;)
Over the course of the past year I have been the one to feed her fish, change it's water, and give it the love my kids didn't seem capable of giving it. I'd often tell the kids that I was the only reason that poor little fish was still swimming. Turns out this was true :(
With all the company we had over the past week or two, poor little Hot Stuff took a back seat entirely, even to me, and after all of the family had left, I went to feed it, only to realize I was about 10 days too late! Sigh....
The kids wanted to hold a funeral for "Hot Stuff," not because they felt a deep sense of loss or anything, but more because they have a morbid sense of humour;) Here were some of the sentiments that were shared:
Jessica: He was a beautiful little guy!
Sam: He was always so nice.
John: He never complained. And he taught us that even when it seems like nobody notices you, or cares for you, you just need to be patient, until you can't be patient anymore.
And with that, we ended our journey as Pet Owners.
Let's hope we've learned our lesson!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment