Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Thanksgiving and beyond

Thanksgiving weekend was a beautiful weekend.   It provided a few days reprieve from school, schedules, and volleyball, and gave us all some much needed time - together.   

We drove out to Waterton one evening with a crock pot of hot fajita casserole and our fishing rods.   
There is nothing I enjoy more than a warm meal while in the mountains, and this evening in the mountains was spectacular!  The trees were full of rich autumn leaves, the temperature was well above normal for this time of year, and wildlife was everywhere.   This Bighorn even tried to join us for dinner!!!

After we ate, we went down to driftwood bay so that Sam could fish.  Nate surprised us by learning how to cast all on his own.    John spent all summer fishing with Sam,  Nate must have decided it was time to join in the fun;)  I did what I always do when John fishes with the kids - took pictures.   (And a couple of them were were about as cooperative as always;)   It was a perfect evening!!


The rest of the weekend was spent working in the yard, both at our house and at Max's.  John helped Max shred and till the gardens.  I prepared the flower beds for winter and we mowed the lawn one.last.time, and by the time Monday came, when all of that work was done - we prepared a Turkey Dinner.   Yummm!!!   
It was sort of a team effort between Max and I, with him doing the Turkey and Stuffing, and me doing everything else.  (I'm no dummy, he cooks it best!:)   We invited a dear sweet couple from our ward to join us and the kids (primarily Jessica) worked hard to set the table and make everything as fancy as possible.   


 This past weekend the kids and I travelled to Medicine Hat to watch John's volleyball team compete in a tournament.    We were able to see two of his games on Friday night which they won!!  The kids had fun watching John coach, and I had fun trying to navigate my way around a city I've never been to before.  (I was being sarcastic with that last bit there.  I swear I got lost no less than fifty hundred times!;)     On Saturday morning, we checked out of the hotel, wished John luck with his second half of the tourney, and journeyed on to Rolling Hills where we were able to be a part of Chaim's baptism and my newest nephew's baby blessing!   Unfortunately, this was the ONLY photo that I bothered to take during that entire event!  


Well, that's not true ....I also got THIS one:

Sadly, neither picture really helps to document the awesomeness of this day.    I guess all I can do is try my best to describe it:    Chaim was excited to be getting baptized,  Remy was adorable, I enjoyed seeing all of my family, and my kids loved seeing all of their cousins!    Sam had been asked to give one of the talks, and despite the fact that he was super nervous about it, he did a GREAT job!   I was proud of him because he wrote it himself and despite my efforts to edit and revise it, he really tried to keep it his own.     Once the baptism was over, and we'd all stuffed ourselves with delicious food, we got to go walk through Crystal and Jeremy's absolutely beautiful new home!  It was absolutely stunning and we're looking forward to future family get togethers at their place.


We also spent hours the past week re-organizing our lego.  Sam has accumulated quite a large collection of it over the years, and we spent way too much time sorting it all into color coordinated compartments.    It was a big job, but it has done lots to re ignite their interest in it all.  They've been building things ever since!    I loved this temple that Jessica created the other day.  

She built it after we'd gotten home from a great weekend together and after we'd been with many of our loved ones.   Love the message behind it, and I LOVE that her little heart feels this way!

Family is what I am Thankful for, most of all!!!

No comments: