Sunday, September 6, 2015

Adjusting...

Yup, I was right. 
The first day of school played out exactly as I thought it would.   
Called it! 
...or did I create it?  
 (I could spend hours analyzing that question;)

Bottom line - it was crazy.   It was hectic.   It was (in my opinion) a month too early, still.


Despite my resentments - the kids were all so very excited.  John pretended that he was sad summer was over, but he wasn't fooling me - he couldn't wait either.  
 Sigh...  Run along little ones.  I'll be fine.

The rest of the week has been spent adjusting.  (Mostly to a new schedule, but there have been a few extra adjustments for our family that have made this past week extra exciting.)

First, Nate started going to "real" school.  (Not just that silly preschool stuff;)   He has woken up all week long, made his bed (sorta) and spent the morning anxiously watching the clock.  He knows that, for him, kindergarten starts just after noon.   He loves the fact that he now attends every single day and he also thinks it's pretty cool that is older siblings pick him up and bring him home.   When the whether is good, Nate and I ride bikes to school so that he can ride home with the siblings.   The little turkey always insists on riding in front of me and reminds me often that I have to "ride far back."  (As in, far enough behind him that it doesn't look like he's riding to school with his mommy.)
Ouch!


When we get to school, he throws me a coy little wave and tells me not to come in with him.    I watch for as long as I can to make sure he gets in the right door and hopefully down the right hallway, and then he is outta site.   I've been reduced to some sort of "Mommy Paparazzi," it's ridiculous!!    Of course I have to ham it up and act like I'm devastated that my little boy is growing up (because he loves it when I'm devastated) but in reality - it kinda thrills me to!   I LOVE not having to walk him into his classroom as it saves me from having to reveal the bed head that exists under my bike helmet;) Three hours each afternoon I now have to catch up on things (or not) hasn't been too shabby either.    Run along little one.  I'll be fine.


Another excited event this week came when this happened:
Braces!!!!


I can hardly believe how much this girl has changed lately.  She just entered grade 7 and thankfully loves it, so far.   (knock on wood)   I worried that getting braces the first week would embarrass her greatly, but the darling girl has taken it in stride.   She even mustered up the courage to run for Sports Rep during the school election.   She worked hard making posters, gluing notes to Hi-Chews (bribery perhaps?;) and wrote a sweet speech.  She didn't win the election, but John and I both knew that she likely wouldn't (sports rep and other similar positions usually go to kids in the older grade) but I was so.darn.proud of her for trying.
And really she is going to be busy enough playing volleyball, anyways.

(Now this girl growing up on me does make me sad.  She needs to knock it off!)


Other crazy adjustments for us:

*John is in full swing with the volleyball season.  He's expressed more than once that he doesn't feel like an experienced coach yet, but I think he's the bee's knees.   (whatever that means;)

* As of this week - Young Women's, Young Mens, Cubs, Activity Days, choir and piano are all back in full swing.   Time to dust off the ol' Calendar!

*  I received the call this week to serve as 2nd councillor in our Stake Young Women's Presidency.   I have about two months total experience ever serving in young women's.   I've prayed all week that I could learn my role fast.

* I also got hired as a substitute EA (Education Assistant) here in the school division.  During my interview, the super intended I was talking with, encouraged me to instead consider going back to school and getting my teaching certificate.   "Dare to Dream," he said.    

* This beautiful autumn season arrived in a blustery way.   Leaves are beginning to turn yellow, the air is cool, and we've even seen SNOW!    Waterton's Red Rock road closes today for the season and I had so badly wanted to drive it one last time this year.    I'll just have to look forward to spring;)

Tomorrow is Labor Day and we plan on enjoying our first Holiday of the school year in a big way. 
I mean, seriously, I feel like we could all use a break!;)

No comments: